Howto auto-set fixed nice value for a user? - Help

This is a discussion on Howto auto-set fixed nice value for a user? - Help ; Hello Linuxers, I've browsed the news-groups many times without luck: a couple of years ago I managed to set a fixed nice value for each process started by a given user (actually the user has no shell access but some ...

  1. Howto auto-set fixed nice value for a user?

    Hello Linuxers,
    I've browsed the news-groups many times without luck:

    a couple of years ago I managed to set a fixed nice value
    for each process started by a given user (actually the user
    has no shell access but some procmail processes start for him
    each time a new mail arrives).

    Now I have to do it again but I don't remember how I did...

    The odd pri=+19 in /etc/passwd doesn't work.

    'renice +19 -u username' only works for now-running jobs,
    each new job keeps getting priority 0.

    I'm running linux 2.4.27 - on a patched slackware-dist.

    Thanks for your help,
    nIc

    PS: Sorry for cross-posting but comp.os.linux gave no answer.

  2. Re: Howto auto-set fixed nice value for a user?

    In article , Nicola Pedrozzi wrote:

    >I've browsed the news-groups many times without luck:

    I saw this post recently - don't recall anyone responding.

    >a couple of years ago I managed to set a fixed nice value
    >for each process started by a given user (actually the user
    >has no shell access but some procmail processes start for him
    >each time a new mail arrives).

    Start the user process using the nice command. Any _sub_process will
    inherit the niced environment.

    >Now I have to do it again but I don't remember how I did...
    >
    >The odd pri=+19 in /etc/passwd doesn't work.

    Wild Assed Guess: In /etc/passwd, make the shell

    /bin/nice +19 /path/to/whatever/the/user.runs

    though you may have to put the /bin/nice into /etc/shells. That assumes
    that the user's processes start out of /etc/passwd. If not, put the
    command in place of whatever you use to start them.

    >PS: Sorry for cross-posting but comp.os.linux gave no answer.

    On the 15th of every month, an article titled "List of Big Eight Newsgroups"
    is posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc.
    Neither 'comp.os.linux', 'comp.os.linux.admin' or 'comp.os.linux.help'
    are listed as valid. If you look at google and search for the charters
    of these groups, you would find that comp.os.linux.admin was renamed
    to comp.os.linux.setup and comp.os.linux.help was renamed to
    comp.os.linux.misc back in November 1994. 'comp.os.linux' has never been
    a valid newsgroup. The only reason you see these groups are the result
    of dick size wars between news server administrators who want to claim to
    have more newsgroups than anyone else. The groups are therefore not widely
    distributed, and will be fairly useless.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread