Proliant DL380 HELP - Help

This is a discussion on Proliant DL380 HELP - Help ; Okay, I've got a fairly recent-model HP Proliant DL380 box (Xeon processors, HP Smart Array 6i controller on the RAID) that I'm trying to install RedHat 9 on. Well, it recognizes the network port, but nothing else. It can't find ...

  1. Proliant DL380 HELP

    Okay, I've got a fairly recent-model HP Proliant DL380 box (Xeon
    processors, HP Smart Array 6i controller on the RAID) that I'm trying to
    install RedHat 9 on.

    Well, it recognizes the network port, but nothing else. It can't find the
    hard drive to install on.

    I've tried getting drivers, but I can't seem to format the driver disk
    correctly or something -- it doesn't recognize there are drivers on the
    disk. Plus, I'm not sure I'm even barking up the right tree, or downloaded
    the correct drivers.

    Assume I'm an idiot for the purpose of helping me, here. I've administered
    RedHat and SGI IRIX, but I've never had to install linux on a box. So, the
    more information, and the more detailed, the better.

    Thanks for the help!

    --
    Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
    cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry

  2. Re: Proliant DL380 HELP

    In article , Kirt Loki Dankmyer wrote:
    > Okay, I've got a fairly recent-model HP Proliant DL380 box (Xeon
    > processors, HP Smart Array 6i controller on the RAID) that I'm trying to
    > install RedHat 9 on.
    >
    > Well, it recognizes the network port, but nothing else. It can't find the
    > hard drive to install on.
    >
    > I've tried getting drivers, but I can't seem to format the driver disk
    > correctly or something -- it doesn't recognize there are drivers on the
    > disk. Plus, I'm not sure I'm even barking up the right tree, or downloaded
    > the correct drivers.
    >
    > Assume I'm an idiot for the purpose of helping me, here. I've administered
    > RedHat and SGI IRIX, but I've never had to install linux on a box. So, the
    > more information, and the more detailed, the better.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    I assume you created some sort of RAID partition before you attempted to
    install? If not, it won't see any disks.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: Proliant DL380 HELP

    "Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer" writes:

    > Okay, I've got a fairly recent-model HP Proliant DL380 box (Xeon
    > processors, HP Smart Array 6i controller on the RAID) that I'm trying to
    > install RedHat 9 on.
    >
    > Well, it recognizes the network port, but nothing else. It can't find the
    > hard drive to install on.
    >
    > I've tried getting drivers, but I can't seem to format the driver disk
    > correctly or something -- it doesn't recognize there are drivers on the
    > disk. Plus, I'm not sure I'm even barking up the right tree, or downloaded
    > the correct drivers.
    >
    > Assume I'm an idiot for the purpose of helping me, here. I've administered
    > RedHat and SGI IRIX, but I've never had to install linux on a box. So, the
    > more information, and the more detailed, the better.

    Assume that we have lives for the purpose of helping you, here. So, the
    more information you provide about what drivers you downloaded and how you
    made the disk, the better. It's a lot easier to fix something that's
    almost right than to write it all out from scratch.

    I don't know if the "cciss" driver on the Supplemental Block Device Driver
    disk is new enough to work for the 6i controller. (Probably not). It might
    be worth a try, however. Look in the directory "images" on the first
    installation CD. The floppy image is in the file "drvblock.img". Follow
    the instructions in the file "README" (which will point you to the Red Hat
    Linux Installation Guide) to make a driver disk. If that works, you're
    all set. If not, then somebody will have to make a driver disk with a
    later driver. I did this two months ago for some DL580s. If I had kept
    it around, the driver disk would have worked for you, too.

    Do you have access to another Red Hat 9 installation?

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  4. Re: Proliant DL380 HELP

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    : I assume you created some sort of RAID partition before you attempted to
    : install? If not, it won't see any disks.

    Yeah, that was already done, tho I suppose I could do it again...

    --
    Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
    cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
    "Only ONE MAN can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!" -Death

  5. Re: Proliant DL380 HELP

    Scott Hemphill wrote:
    : Assume that we have lives for the purpose of helping you, here. So, the
    : more information you provide about what drivers you downloaded and how you
    : made the disk, the better. It's a lot easier to fix something that's
    : almost right than to write it all out from scratch.

    I downloaded the RPMs for the drivers that I could find on the HP site,
    and put it on a regular DOS floppy...

    : I don't know if the "cciss" driver on the Supplemental Block Device Driver
    : disk is new enough to work for the 6i controller. (Probably not). It might
    : be worth a try, however. Look in the directory "images" on the first
    : installation CD. The floppy image is in the file "drvblock.img". Follow
    : the instructions in the file "README" (which will point you to the Red Hat
    : Linux Installation Guide) to make a driver disk. If that works, you're
    : all set. If not, then somebody will have to make a driver disk with a
    : later driver. I did this two months ago for some DL580s. If I had kept
    : it around, the driver disk would have worked for you, too.

    I believe it loads that automatically, but then still can't see the disk.
    It's worth a try, tho...

    : Do you have access to another Red Hat 9 installation?

    Not at the moment, I'm afraid.

    --
    Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
    cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
    "Only ONE MAN can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!" -Death

  6. Re: Proliant DL380 HELP

    "Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer" writes:

    > Scott Hemphill wrote:
    > : Assume that we have lives for the purpose of helping you, here. So, the
    > : more information you provide about what drivers you downloaded and how you
    > : made the disk, the better. It's a lot easier to fix something that's
    > : almost right than to write it all out from scratch.
    >
    > I downloaded the RPMs for the drivers that I could find on the HP site,
    > and put it on a regular DOS floppy...

    This isn't the correct way to make a driver disk. You need a driver disk
    image, which needs to be written to a floppy. Follow the instructions in
    the Red Hat Linux Installation Guide to copy the image to a floppy.

    > : I don't know if the "cciss" driver on the Supplemental Block Device Driver
    > : disk is new enough to work for the 6i controller. (Probably not). It might
    > : be worth a try, however. Look in the directory "images" on the first
    > : installation CD. The floppy image is in the file "drvblock.img". Follow
    > : the instructions in the file "README" (which will point you to the Red Hat
    > : Linux Installation Guide) to make a driver disk. If that works, you're
    > : all set. If not, then somebody will have to make a driver disk with a
    > : later driver. I did this two months ago for some DL580s. If I had kept
    > : it around, the driver disk would have worked for you, too.
    >
    > I believe it loads that automatically, but then still can't see the disk.
    > It's worth a try, tho...

    Go ahead and try it. If it doesn't work, then maybe I'll put another disk
    image together for you. If it does work, then you're in good shape. If
    it doesn't, then every time you update your kernel you'll have to build
    another driver.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

+ Reply to Thread