Can't configure X - Help

This is a discussion on Can't configure X - Help ; I am new to linux and I just recently installed the Debian woody version. I can't seem to get X running. I have a SiS 6323 AGP vidio card and a Gateway 2000 vivitron 1776 monitor. My imput devices are ...

  1. Can't configure X

    I am new to linux and I just recently installed the Debian woody version. I
    can't seem to get X running. I have a SiS 6323 AGP vidio card and a Gateway
    2000 vivitron 1776 monitor. My imput devices are a standard 104 keyboard and
    a microsoft serial mouse. Is there something about either one of these
    that's causing a conflict. Thank you!

  2. Re: Can't configure X

    free.teranews.com wrote:
    > I am new to linux and I just recently installed the Debian woody version. I
    > can't seem to get X running. I have a SiS 6323 AGP vidio card and a Gateway
    > 2000 vivitron 1776 monitor. My imput devices are a standard 104 keyboard and
    > a microsoft serial mouse. Is there something about either one of these
    > that's causing a conflict. Thank you!

    You may prefer to use Debian Sarge (testing). It's pretty good and a lot
    more recent! To get to Sarge, you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
    replacing the instances of "stable" on the ftp and http lines (except
    for the security updates line) with "testing", then do;
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    However, to get your X working, I suggest logging in as root and entering:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    This will take you to a dialog on setting up X. You shouldn't have too
    many problems - just don't try anything fancy. You can use either the
    SiS or VESA drivers for your video card. For the monitor selection, if
    you don't know the parameters for your monitor, try using a "medium"
    difficulty in the monitor parameters setting question. This should allow
    you to specify the approximate best mode that your monitor can handle,
    along with the resolutions you want to use.

+ Reply to Thread