Need help installing a driver - Help

This is a discussion on Need help installing a driver - Help ; I am a new Linux user and desperately need some help installing drivers for: D-Link PCMCIA Adapter Model: DFE-670TXD I have never installed a single driver or application manually, and would REALLY appreciate any help that people would provide. I'm ...

  1. Need help installing a driver

    I am a new Linux user and desperately need some help installing drivers for:

    D-Link PCMCIA Adapter
    Model: DFE-670TXD

    I have never installed a single driver or application manually, and would
    REALLY appreciate any help that people would provide.

    I'm using:
    Compaq Presario 1210 (Laptop)
    80mb of RAM
    1.4gb hard drive
    Mandrake 7.2 (Freshly installed, no modifications)

    I know, my computer is ancient. I've got Xandros 3.1 on my desktop, but so
    far I have not needed to install anything.

    Unfortunately, the driver was not found, so I looked on the net and found
    this one:
    pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar

    Now, I just need to know how to change the "Unknown" device in the Mandrake
    "Device Manager" into a functional device.

    As I said, any help will be appreciated, but if you have time, pretend I'm
    stupid and need step-by-step instructions for installing applications and
    devices.

    Thanks to anybody in advance!

    Jason
    tibbar110@yahoo.com

  2. Re: Need help installing a driver

    This is probably not terribly comprehensive so you might try 'this'
    (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.3) link (a snippet
    from a howto on installing pcmcia). Generally, paraphrasing the
    contents of the howto, you need to build the pcmcia module and load it
    into the kernel, i.e. :

    (Read to end of post before doing this )

    1 - mkdir /tmp/pcmcia
    2 - mv /location/of/archive/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
    /tmp/pcmcia/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
    3 - cd /tmp/pcmcia
    4 - tar -xvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
    5 - cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.8
    6 - make config && make all && make install
    7 - modprobe pcmcia_core
    8 - lsmod (check that the module has actually loaded!)

    For all this you will require the your kernel source... check for the
    existance of /usr/src/linux before starting or the module will not
    compile!

    I don't know if this will help but its worth a try, there is probably
    more to do. I think the card will be well supported though...

    Good luck!

    P.S. I found references to an app - 'cardmgr'
    (http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_cardmgr.htm) - it manages
    pcmcia cards

    --
    bejomin