Newsgroup NNTP - Help

This is a discussion on Newsgroup NNTP - Help ; I've always used web based interface for news reading, now I want to setup my mail clien to do so. I have found some NNTP servers for some newsgroups (e.g. news.mozilla.org), however I wasn't able to fing server for this ...

  1. Newsgroup NNTP

    I've always used web based interface for news reading, now I want to
    setup my mail clien to do so. I have found some NNTP servers for some
    newsgroups (e.g. news.mozilla.org), however I wasn't able to fing
    server for this newsgroup. Does anyone know where can I find NNTP
    server for this newsgroup?

    Paul W. aka suppos

  2. Re: Newsgroup NNTP

    In article <1112033666.071528.161930@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    1337usr@gmail.com wrote:

    >I've always used web based interface for news reading, now I want to
    >setup my mail clien to do so.

    Why not use a news reader? Whatever

    >I have found some NNTP servers for some newsgroups (e.g. news.mozilla.org),
    >however I wasn't able to fing server for this newsgroup. Does anyone know
    >where can I find NNTP server for this newsgroup?

    News _groups_ don't have news servers. News servers, such as
    newsfe4-gui.ntli.net carry a number of newsgroups. Contact your ISP and find
    out what specific systems they have provided.

    As far as _this_ newsgroup (comp.os.linux.help), you're in for a bit more of
    a problem, because this group isn't sanctioned, and is thus only carried on
    poorly configured (or "we have more newsgroups than anyone") servers. On
    the 15th of every month, the article "List of Big Eight Newsgroups" is posted
    to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc listing the
    sanctioned groups (meaning that all news servers should carry them). I'll
    save you the trouble by

    [compton ~]$ grep linux valid.newsgroups.03.15.05| awk '{ print $1}' | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    Now, your news admin may carry a LOT of other newsgroups - but at his/her
    own whim, and they may or may not have good circulation. My news server
    (giganews) has over 1100 groups with the word linux in the name (out of a
    total of 99500 total), while supernews has only 374 of 35000.

    As far as who carries this group, that's going to be a lot harder. I'd
    suggest looking at the Path: headers on any server you can find that
    carries it (example - google) and seeing if you see any server listed
    that you may have access to. I've got 18 articles on my spool, and they
    have come through 60 different news servers to reach me.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Newsgroup NNTP

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > In article <1112033666.071528.161930@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    > 1337usr@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I've always used web based interface for news reading, now I want to
    >>setup my mail clien to do so.

    > Why not use a news reader? Whatever
    >
    >>I have found some NNTP servers for some newsgroups (e.g.
    >>news.mozilla.org), however I wasn't able to fing server for this
    >>newsgroup. Does anyone know where can I find NNTP server for this
    >>newsgroup?

    > News _groups_ don't have news servers. News servers, such as
    > newsfe4-gui.ntli.net carry a number of newsgroups. Contact your ISP and
    > find out what specific systems they have provided.
    >
    > As far as _this_ newsgroup (comp.os.linux.help), you're in for a bit more
    > of a problem, because this group isn't sanctioned, and is thus only
    > carried on poorly configured (or "we have more newsgroups than anyone")
    > servers. On the 15th of every month, the article "List of Big Eight
    > Newsgroups" is posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and
    > news.lists.misc listing the sanctioned groups (meaning that all news
    > servers should carry them). I'll save you the trouble by
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep linux valid.newsgroups.03.15.05| awk '{ print $1}' |
    > [column
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    > comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    > comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    > comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    > comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    > comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    > comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    > comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    > comp.os.linux.m68k
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > Now, your news admin may carry a LOT of other newsgroups - but at his/her
    > own whim, and they may or may not have good circulation. My news server
    > (giganews) has over 1100 groups with the word linux in the name (out of a
    > total of 99500 total), while supernews has only 374 of 35000.
    >
    > As far as who carries this group, that's going to be a lot harder. I'd
    > suggest looking at the Path: headers on any server you can find that
    > carries it (example - google) and seeing if you see any server listed
    > that you may have access to. I've got 18 articles on my spool, and they
    > have come through 60 different news servers to reach me.
    >
    > Old guy

    It seems to be a giganews group, It's also available on sedona and BT.

+ Reply to Thread