Adding network printer - Help

This is a discussion on Adding network printer - Help ; I am using Red Hat FC3 on a Dell Dimension 4500. I have installed an HP OfficeJet 6110 on the Dimension and it seems to be printing fine; however, and can't get my laptop to print to the printer. The ...

  1. Adding network printer

    I am using Red Hat FC3 on a Dell Dimension 4500. I have installed an HP
    OfficeJet 6110 on the Dimension and it seems to be printing fine;
    however, and can't get my laptop to print to the printer. The printer is
    installed on /dev/usb/lp0.

    I am using Gnome on the laptop, which is a Dell Latitude D600. When I
    started the laptop I went to 'System settings' > 'Printers' and it
    seemed that the printer had been autoadded as there was an entry for it
    under 'Browsed queues'.

    I tried to print to this printer but nothing happened. I tried to print
    from OO Writer and from the 'test' option in the 'Printer config'
    applet. I was not able to edit or delete this entry as those options
    were grayed out.

    I then tried to add a printer. I added as a 'Networked CUPS' printer.
    When I got to the part where I had to add the 'Server' and the 'Path' I
    entered 'linux4500' as that is the name of the computer that the printer
    is attached to and the path was '/printers/queue1' and I did not change
    that. The description of the printer that I added reads:

    'Unable to lookup host 'linux4500'-Unknown host

    I appreciate any help that anyone can give, thanks.

    Todd

  2. Re: Adding network printer (and question regarding /etc/hosts)

    I assumed that this may have been a DNS problem as I could not ping
    linux4500 from the laptop so I added and entry to /etc/hosts that reads:

    192.168.0.5 linux4500

    and now I can ping linux4500 so I added the printer again with the path:

    linux4500/printers/queue1

    but I now get a message under description that reads:

    Network host 'linux4500' is busy; will try again in 30 seconds

    and that is where it stays. When I tried to print a test page nothing
    happened and these are the error messages that I got:

    [20/Mar/2005:12:23:01 -0500] Adding start banner page "none" to job 16.
    I [20/Mar/2005:12:23:01 -0500] Adding end banner page "none" to job 16.
    I [20/Mar/2005:12:23:01 -0500] Job 16 queued on 'hpoj6110' by 'root'.

    I do have a question regarding the /etc/hosts file. If I have to put the
    hostname of the computer in the hosts file in order to contact it
    wouldn't that also give it a static IP and make me unable to use DHCP or
    am I missing something? Thanks.

    Todd

  3. Re: Adding network printer (and question regarding /etc/hosts)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:27:31 GMT, Todd Parks
    wrote:

    >I do have a question regarding the /etc/hosts file. If I have to put the
    >hostname of the computer in the hosts file in order to contact it
    >wouldn't that also give it a static IP and make me unable to use DHCP or
    >am I missing something? Thanks.

    That it will. As far as your first question goes, do you have CUPS
    running on the machine with the printer?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Adding network printer (and question regarding /etc/hosts)

    Joe Zeff wrote:

    > That it will. As far as your first question goes, do you have CUPS
    > running on the machine with the printer?

    Yes, I went into 'System configuration' and CUPS is checked and it says:

    cupsd (pid 4796) is running...

+ Reply to Thread