slapd / OpenLDAP causes login to hang (Debian sarge) - Help

This is a discussion on slapd / OpenLDAP causes login to hang (Debian sarge) - Help ; Following problem: I set up a PC with Debian Sarge a week ago, configured to provide user information via LDAP. Used libnss_ldap + Heimdal to authenticate users on the clients. without changing any configuration files - the login process on ...

  1. slapd / OpenLDAP causes login to hang (Debian sarge)

    Following problem:
    I set up a PC with Debian Sarge a week ago, configured to provide user
    information via LDAP. Used libnss_ldap + Heimdal to authenticate
    users on the clients.
    without changing any configuration files - the login process on the
    server system suddenly hung (99% CPU usage), when I tried to login -
    no logins possible any more.
    When I don't launch slapd on the startup OR
    when I disable my ethernet card,
    everything is ok - execpt that I can't access my user / group
    information via LDAP :-(
    As soon as slapd and the ethernet card are both running - certain
    services like login, or Midnight Commander hang up as soon as they
    start.
    There are no unusual log messages, neither for slapd nor by the
    hanging processes.

    slapd doesn't produce any significant network traffic (as reported by
    ifconfig)
    removing libnss.so / libkrb5.so from the pam - files doesn't change
    the problem.
    Sometimes - but not always - everything works fine, when I tell slapd
    to bind only to one IP address and one port on my ethernet interface.

    Could be something wrong with my routing- configuration (didn't change
    the defaults provided by Debian yet)
    I'm really worried about that.

    My current Configuration:
    AMD Athlon 2.400, Debian 3.1 (Sarge)
    slapd 2.1.30-3 - included with Sarge
    tried both: Kernel 2.4.27 and 2.6.8

    Thank you for any help regarding this problem

  2. Re: slapd / OpenLDAP causes login to hang (Debian sarge)

    zimpi wrote:
    > Following problem:
    > I set up a PC with Debian Sarge a week ago, configured to provide user
    > information via LDAP. Used libnss_ldap + Heimdal to authenticate
    > users on the clients.
    > without changing any configuration files - the login process on the
    > server system suddenly hung (99% CPU usage), when I tried to login -
    > no logins possible any more.
    > When I don't launch slapd on the startup OR
    > when I disable my ethernet card,
    > everything is ok - execpt that I can't access my user / group
    > information via LDAP :-(
    > As soon as slapd and the ethernet card are both running - certain
    > services like login, or Midnight Commander hang up as soon as they
    > start.
    > There are no unusual log messages, neither for slapd nor by the
    > hanging processes.
    >
    > slapd doesn't produce any significant network traffic (as reported by
    > ifconfig)
    > removing libnss.so / libkrb5.so from the pam - files doesn't change
    > the problem.
    > Sometimes - but not always - everything works fine, when I tell slapd
    > to bind only to one IP address and one port on my ethernet interface.
    >
    > Could be something wrong with my routing- configuration (didn't change
    > the defaults provided by Debian yet)
    > I'm really worried about that.
    >
    > My current Configuration:
    > AMD Athlon 2.400, Debian 3.1 (Sarge)
    > slapd 2.1.30-3 - included with Sarge
    > tried both: Kernel 2.4.27 and 2.6.8
    >
    > Thank you for any help regarding this problem

    Try doing a dist-upgrade. I've been having interesting problems with
    Sarge for weeks now. There is a reason why it's not "stable" yet! My
    current ones are that KDE apps don't run under Gnome anymore. Before
    that, I was having severe problems traced back to famd...

+ Reply to Thread