Debian - file alteration monitor daemon (famd) causes big-time instability - Help

This is a discussion on Debian - file alteration monitor daemon (famd) causes big-time instability - Help ; I'm running Debian Sarge with a 2.6.10-k7 kernel (because the 2.6.8 kernel doesn't recognize my Logitech Cordless Click mouse properly). With both KDE and Gnome, it was ludicrous. Applications would crash and the entire computer would become unusable after several ...

  1. Debian - file alteration monitor daemon (famd) causes big-time instability

    I'm running Debian Sarge with a 2.6.10-k7 kernel (because the 2.6.8
    kernel doesn't recognize my Logitech Cordless Click mouse properly).
    With both KDE and Gnome, it was ludicrous. Applications would crash and
    the entire computer would become unusable after several hours.

    Top showed that famd was using outrageous CPU time, so I killed it. With
    famd gone, things run fine again.

    I haven't had this problem on other KDE sarge systems I'm using, so I'm
    not sure what the problem is. However, I have seen at least one other
    complaint about it while searching for a cure.

    My Debian Sarge is a vanilla desktop (except as noted, plus running
    clamav) and up to date. I'm using ReiserFS and have four 1G swap files
    split between two drives. My hardware is an AMD Athlon XP2100+ on an MSI
    KT4A-V board with an ASUS NVidia AGP card, 1G PC2700 memory, 2 x WD 160G
    HDs, an LG dual-layer DVD burner and an LS-120 floppy drive.

    Anyone have any ideas why famd is misbehaving and how can I correct it?

  2. Re: Debian - file alteration monitor daemon (famd) causes big-timeinstability

    Gary Dale wrote:
    > I'm running Debian Sarge with a 2.6.10-k7 kernel (because the 2.6.8
    > kernel doesn't recognize my Logitech Cordless Click mouse properly).
    > With both KDE and Gnome, it was ludicrous. Applications would crash and
    > the entire computer would become unusable after several hours.
    >
    > Top showed that famd was using outrageous CPU time, so I killed it. With
    > famd gone, things run fine again.
    >
    > I haven't had this problem on other KDE sarge systems I'm using, so I'm
    > not sure what the problem is. However, I have seen at least one other
    > complaint about it while searching for a cure.
    >
    > My Debian Sarge is a vanilla desktop (except as noted, plus running
    > clamav) and up to date. I'm using ReiserFS and have four 1G swap files
    > split between two drives. My hardware is an AMD Athlon XP2100+ on an MSI
    > KT4A-V board with an ASUS NVidia AGP card, 1G PC2700 memory, 2 x WD 160G
    > HDs, an LG dual-layer DVD burner and an LS-120 floppy drive.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas why famd is misbehaving and how can I correct it?

    Interesting. After weeks of hell, the last dist-upgrade seems to have
    cured the problem.

+ Reply to Thread