installation - Help

This is a discussion on installation - Help ; Can anyone tell me how to uninstall a prog in linux's X window instead of using the rpm -e command? Also does anyone know anymethod to install a package in the GUI which has to be installed using the make ...

  1. installation

    Can anyone tell me how to uninstall a prog in linux's X window instead
    of using the rpm -e command? Also does anyone know anymethod to
    install a package in the GUI which has to be installed using the make
    command?

    Also pls give me some links which gives a good comparison between
    windows and linux in evert aspects?

  2. Re: installation

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:50:40 -0800, sanjoealex wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me how to uninstall a prog in linux's X window instead
    > of using the rpm -e command? Also does anyone know anymethod to
    > install a package in the GUI which has to be installed using the make
    > command?
    >
    > Also pls give me some links which gives a good comparison between
    > windows and linux in evert aspects?

    A s far as the X rpm manager I use Synaptic ( X environment) that is build
    on top of APT rpm manager. This will let you install remove and view
    posible installs, there is however an intricacy in setting up repositories.

    If it is a binary package, read README provided along the package,
    basic steps are ./configure ; make; make install

    Adios.

  3. Re: installation

    In article , sanjoealex wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me how to uninstall a prog in linux's X window instead
    >of using the rpm -e command?

    1. If you installed the package using rpm, you should uninstall it using
    rpm to avoid corrupting the data base. The difference is that you install
    by naming the file (rpm -I /path/to/foobar-3.1-i386.rpm) and you remove
    by naming the _package_ (rpm -e foobar). See the difference?

    2. If you are looking for some cute icon to click to remove packages,
    there isn't one.

    3. If you installed the package from a tarball (by running 'make install'),
    work, read the Makefile and see what the 'install:' did. Use 'rm' to
    remove the stuff manually.

    >Also does anyone know anymethod to install a package in the GUI which has
    >to be installed using the make command?

    Again, there isn't a cute icon to click. Find a command line, and read the
    README file that the package comes with. There may also be additional
    documentation. Read that.

    >Also pls give me some links which gives a good comparison between
    >windows and linux in evert aspects?

    windoze is for st00pid people who shouldn't be using a computer in the
    first place. Linux requires more than two neurons in the brain.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread