Filesystem to support more than 32767 directories? - Help

This is a discussion on Filesystem to support more than 32767 directories? - Help ; Can the Linux kernel / filesystem support more than 32767 directories? We have recently run into this limitation in FreeBSD (not the FS, but the OS limits it to a signed 16 bit value). I have heard that the ReiserFS ...

  1. Filesystem to support more than 32767 directories?

    Can the Linux kernel / filesystem support more than 32767 directories? We
    have recently run into this limitation in FreeBSD (not the FS, but the OS
    limits it to a signed 16 bit value).

    I have heard that the ReiserFS and the 2.6.x kernel support this. Is this
    true?
    Does any distro come with Reiser? Or is it something you have to compile
    yourself?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Filesystem to support more than 32767 directories?

    Duh Duh wrote:
    > Can the Linux kernel / filesystem support more than 32767 directories? We
    > have recently run into this limitation in FreeBSD (not the FS, but the OS
    > limits it to a signed 16 bit value).

    Haven't heard of this limitation, but I am not discreditting your
    information either.

    > I have heard that the ReiserFS and the 2.6.x kernel support this. Is this
    > true?
    > Does any distro come with Reiser? Or is it something you have to compile
    > yourself?

    All distros should be able to support Reiser, as it is supported in the
    kernel. You'll then have to download the reiserfsprogs. The main link
    for the installation of ReiserFS appears to be:

    http://www.namesys.com/install.html

    I've installed ReiserFS on my Gentoo system, and followed these steps:

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=4#doc_chap4
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=7#doc_chap3
    (in particular - code listing 8 on that last link)
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=9#doc_chap4

    HTH,

    ....Ric
    --
    Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"

+ Reply to Thread