Newbie. FC3 2.6.9-1.667 shutdown/reboot lockup - Help

This is a discussion on Newbie. FC3 2.6.9-1.667 shutdown/reboot lockup - Help ; Ladies and Gentlemen, Being very new to Linux I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance that you may offer. I have installed FC3 onto my system, dual boot with Win2K. Everything seems to work OK (I've been ...

  1. Newbie. FC3 2.6.9-1.667 shutdown/reboot lockup

    Ladies and Gentlemen,

    Being very new to Linux I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance
    that you may offer. I have installed FC3 onto my system, dual boot with
    Win2K. Everything seems to work OK (I've been lurking here for a few days
    and even got the sound working - thank you all) until I either shutdown or
    reboot.

    I have re-installed many times thinking that I was getting it wrong
    (including re-installing FC2 and doing the upgrade option) - ended up using
    the install everything" option. Same symptoms.

    After install I got the following on either shutdown or reboot;
    VFS Cannot open root device "" on unknown-block(8,3)
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    unknown-block(8,3)

    I changed the line in /boot/grub/grub.conf (was kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
    ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet) to read kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro
    root=/dev/hda10

    The system still hangs on shutdown and reboot but with slightly different
    symptoms.

    On shutdown I get the following (**** denotes items in the same location in
    both dumps);
    Process halt (pid: 3744, threadinfo=23c5c000 task=23c8b8b0)
    Stack: {I get lotsa numbers here}
    Call Trace:
    device_shutdown+0x55/0x72 ****
    sys_reboot+0x21e/0x51f ****
    activate_task+0x53/0x5f
    signal_wake_up+0x18/0x19
    __group_send_sig_info+0x72/0x76
    kill_proc_info+0x23/0x26
    sys_kill+0x4b/0x50
    destroy_inode+0x36/0x45 ****
    dput+0x33/0x4f3 ****
    __fput+0xc9/0xee ****
    filp_close+0x59/0x5f ****
    Code: Bad EIP value.

    On re-boot I get (please note that the items in the Call Trace are in
    addition to those marked **** above);
    Process reboot (pid:3723, threadinfo=250e5000 task=25591760)
    Stack: {lotsa numbers}
    Call Trace:
    rw_vm+0x3f7/0x482
    put_user_size+0x29/0x2d
    dev_ifconf+0x8f/0xad
    udp_ioctl+0x183 (i missed a number here)
    dev_ioctl+0x44/0x39e
    inet_create+0x166/0x211
    Code: Bad EIP Value.
    INIT: no more processes at this runlevel.

    FC2 shuts down and reboots OK

    I have searched, the now book marked site, http://fedoraforum.org site,
    http://fedoranews.org, and http://fcp.homelinux.org to no avail. I suspect
    that it would help if I was more familiar with the lingo.

    This is not a major problem (reset & power switches are such wonderful
    things) just inconvenient.

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Ralph

    So far I'm very impressed with Linux - after a steep learning curve I can
    ditch the dreaded Win2K...AT LAST! :-)

  2. Re: Newbie. FC3 2.6.9-1.667 shutdown/reboot lockup

    Hiya all,

    I fixed the problem by installing SUSE 9.2 - still dunno why Fedora Core 3
    won't reboot/shutdown.

    Ralph

    "ralph" wrote in message
    news:42343c59$0$29449$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Ladies and Gentlemen,
    >
    > Being very new to Linux I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance
    > that you may offer. I have installed FC3 onto my system, dual boot with
    > Win2K. Everything seems to work OK (I've been lurking here for a few days
    > and even got the sound working - thank you all) until I either shutdown or
    > reboot.
    >
    > I have re-installed many times thinking that I was getting it wrong
    > (including re-installing FC2 and doing the upgrade option) - ended up

    using
    > the install everything" option. Same symptoms.
    >

    > I have searched, the now book marked site, http://fedoraforum.org site,
    > http://fedoranews.org, and http://fcp.homelinux.org to no avail. I

    suspect
    > that it would help if I was more familiar with the lingo.
    >
    > This is not a major problem (reset & power switches are such wonderful
    > things) just inconvenient.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > Ralph
    >
    > So far I'm very impressed with Linux - after a steep learning curve I can
    > ditch the dreaded Win2K...AT LAST! :-)

+ Reply to Thread