Sync Palm III with Evolution - Help

This is a discussion on Sync Palm III with Evolution - Help ; I am running RH Fedora 3 and am trying to sync a Palm IIIxe with Evolution 2.0.2. I have synced the Palm with Windows Outlook and am trying to put all of my info into Evolution now. I go to ...

  1. Sync Palm III with Evolution

    I am running RH Fedora 3 and am trying to sync a Palm IIIxe with
    Evolution 2.0.2. I have synced the Palm with Windows Outlook and am
    trying to put all of my info into Evolution now.

    I go to 'tools' > 'pilot settings' and get the 'Welcome to Gnome-Pilot'
    window. I hit forward and have these options:

    Name: Cradle
    Port: /dev/pilot
    Speed: 57600
    Timeout: 2
    Type: serial

    Upon hitting forward again I am taked to 'Pilot ID", I choose:

    No, never used sync software
    User Name: My name
    ID: 500

    I hit forward and am told to hit the hotsync button and I do. I get a
    message on my Palm saying that the connection between my handheld and
    desktop could not be established. My guess is that /dev/pilot is not
    right. I have tried /dev/ttyS0 - S4 and same thing. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. Re: Sync Palm III with Evolution

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:05:39 GMT, Todd Parks
    wrote:

    >I have synced the Palm with Windows Outlook

    What port do you use in Windows? If it's a com port, use that number,
    minus one, as Linux is zero based rather than one based.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Sync Palm III with Evolution

    > What port do you use in Windows? If it's a com port, use that number,
    > minus one, as Linux is zero based rather than one based.

    I used COM1 in Windows so I used dev/ttyS0 in Linux but the result was
    the same. Thanks for the advice though.

    Todd

  4. Re: Sync Palm III with Evolution

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:05:39 +0000, Todd Parks wrote:

    > I am running RH Fedora 3 and am trying to sync a Palm IIIxe with
    > Evolution 2.0.2. I have synced the Palm with Windows Outlook and am
    > trying to put all of my info into Evolution now.
    >
    > I go to 'tools' > 'pilot settings' and get the 'Welcome to Gnome-Pilot'
    > window. I hit forward and have these options:
    >
    > Name: Cradle
    > Port: /dev/pilot
    > Speed: 57600
    > Timeout: 2
    > Type: serial
    >
    > Upon hitting forward again I am taked to 'Pilot ID", I choose:
    >
    > No, never used sync software
    > User Name: My name
    > ID: 500
    >
    > I hit forward and am told to hit the hotsync button and I do. I get a
    > message on my Palm saying that the connection between my handheld and
    > desktop could not be established. My guess is that /dev/pilot is not
    > right. I have tried /dev/ttyS0 - S4 and same thing. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Make sure that you have RW access to the port:
    as root > chmod a+wr /dev/ttyS0 (or whichever port you are using)

    Stair

  5. Re: Sync Palm III with Evolution

    stair wrote:
    > Make sure that you have RW access to the port:
    > as root > chmod a+wr /dev/ttyS0 (or whichever port you are using)
    >
    > Stair

    That solved it, thanks! One step closer to dumping Windows (if I could
    just get Quasar to work)...

  6. Re: Sync Palm III with Evolution

    stair wrote:

    > Make sure that you have RW access to the port:
    > as root > chmod a+wr /dev/ttyS0 (or whichever port you are using)
    >
    > Stair

    OK, it worked the first time and then I synced the Palm with MS Outlook
    and now I am getting the same problem syncing with Evolution. The
    permissions for /dev/ttyS0 still have RW access so it would seem to be
    something in the Palm itself that changed because of the latest Outlook
    sync.

    I am wondering if it is not going to be feasible to use the Palm to sync
    between Evolution and Outlook. Until I replace my Palm III with a
    more updated Palm it would be nice, although not necessary, to have this
    ability.

    Todd

+ Reply to Thread