usb usr hcf modem - Help

This is a discussion on usb usr hcf modem - Help ; I love it when my posts are toitallyt ignored. I asked for some helpo w/ an usrobotics hcf modem and everyone ignores it....

  1. usb usr hcf modem

    I love it when my posts are toitallyt ignored. I asked for some helpo w/ an
    usrobotics hcf modem and everyone ignores it.

  2. Re: usb usr hcf modem

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:18:27 GMT, "Jae Carlson"
    wrote:

    >I love it when my posts are toitallyt ignored. I asked for some helpo w/ an
    >usrobotics hcf modem and everyone ignores it.

    We weren't ignoring you, we just didn't have any answer. Alas, I know
    it's hard to tell the difference sometimes, but we don't ignore people
    when we have suggestions to offer.

    If the modem is some sort of WinModem, you may be out of luck. They
    use proprietary drivers to do things that an all-hardware modem does
    on the board. There are Linux drivers for some of them now, but from
    what I understand, the support is rather hit-and-miss because about
    the only time you really need one is if it's built into the
    motherboard. If it's some variation on the hsp modem, you're
    completely SOL. The hsp takes the WinModem principle to an
    unreasonable extreme, being little more than a lobotomized soundcard
    requiring huge drivers that can take up most of your CPU time when
    active. If that's what you've got, get rid of it and get a real
    modem. If it's a WinModem, look around for Linux drivers for it, and
    you just may be able to make it work. HTH, HAND.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: usb usr hcf modem

    Thank you Joe, I appologize for taking my frustration on on the group I am
    just tired of that old blue screen of desaster. The only way I can add a
    modem to myt systeem is either find an old isa 16bit modem or use an usb
    modem. Personally I would prefer the USB route, So my next question is
    sujjestions anyone? Thanks again.
    Jae
    "Joe Zeff" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:18:27 GMT, "Jae Carlson"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I love it when my posts are toitallyt ignored. I asked for some helpo w/
    >>an
    >>usrobotics hcf modem and everyone ignores it.
    >>

    > We weren't ignoring you, we just didn't have any answer. Alas, I know
    > it's hard to tell the difference sometimes, but we don't ignore people
    > when we have suggestions to offer.
    >
    > If the modem is some sort of WinModem, you may be out of luck. They
    > use proprietary drivers to do things that an all-hardware modem does
    > on the board. There are Linux drivers for some of them now, but from
    > what I understand, the support is rather hit-and-miss because about
    > the only time you really need one is if it's built into the
    > motherboard. If it's some variation on the hsp modem, you're
    > completely SOL. The hsp takes the WinModem principle to an
    > unreasonable extreme, being little more than a lobotomized soundcard
    > requiring huge drivers that can take up most of your CPU time when
    > active. If that's what you've got, get rid of it and get a real
    > modem. If it's a WinModem, look around for Linux drivers for it, and
    > you just may be able to make it work. HTH, HAND.
    >
    > --
    > Joe Zeff
    > The Guy With the Sideburns
    > Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    > talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    > turpentine sauce.
    > http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz

  4. Re: usb usr hcf modem

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:35:47 GMT, "Jae Carlson"
    wrote:

    >The only way I can add a
    >modem to myt systeem is either find an old isa 16bit modem

    If you have an open slot for it, go for it. Linux understands
    hardware modems and it will work just fine.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns