Server solution for a web design shop. - Help

This is a discussion on Server solution for a web design shop. - Help ; Hi, all. Would you be kind enough to comment on my choices for setting up a web design shop's servers? We can afford two servers at a managed facility. We currently have one server there that easily handles our traffic/cpu ...

  1. Server solution for a web design shop.

    Hi, all. Would you be kind enough to comment on my choices for setting
    up a web design shop's servers?

    We can afford two servers at a managed facility. We currently have one
    server there that easily handles our traffic/cpu load. This server
    does everything - web, db, dns x 2, mail, etc. I am going to buy a
    second server that has an hourly rsync backup of files on the primary
    server. If the primary goes down, the secondary will know and run a
    script to acquire the IP address of the primary. Once primary is back
    up, secondary will relinquish the IP address.

    I believe MySQL replication could be the answer to keeping databases up
    to date.

    These servers are running RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.

  2. Re: Server solution for a web design shop.

    > second server that has an hourly rsync backup of files on the primary

    I am using rsync for quite long, but it has one very
    important drawback -- it has to build information about
    the whole directory tree before any transfers are done.
    So if you have lots of files you will have to split
    your tree in parts. Then you will always have to keep
    syncincg script uptodate in order not to loose any files.

    Maybe raid is the solution? Maybe raid over network
    block device?

    Leszek Dubiel

+ Reply to Thread