Hello,

I am working with a host / target machine setup. The cpu arch is the
same on both, x86_64 (athlon64), the only real difference is size, ie.
my host has a 80GB HD, my targets have 1GB compact flash disks (need
this for mechanical vibration reasons). I have CentOS 3.4-x86_64 fully
installed on my host, and my target machines have the same OS just with
a much smaller package list.

I am trying to get GCC 3.4.3 compiled into a relatively small footprint
(< 200 Mb), so I can use it on my targets. I only want c, c++ and java
installed. I downloaded the gcc-core .tar and ran the make and make
install on that and successfully installed it on my target machine,
taking up approximately 40MB. When I build the core along with c++ and
java, my libraries such as libgcj.a come out to be over 100MB! Compared
to a 20MB libgcj on my Fedora 3 machines.

I've tried compiling with different explicit options such as:
--enable-shared, --disable-static, --with-arch=athlon64, and a whole
bunch of others. Nothing I've tried gets the size of the libgcj.a file
down, nor the other big libraries. Any help or insight would be greatly
appreciatied. Thanks.

--
Daniel A. Kent
Graduate Research Assistant