Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2 - Help

This is a discussion on Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2 - Help ; I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware (nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run X11 at ...

  1. Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    (nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration. However,
    after installing the nVIDIA driver and running SAX2, I can't seem to get
    all of these settings applied at once. I tried to manually edit my
    xorg.conf file, but this doesn't seem to be of much use. Has anyone
    else had this problem, and if so how do you fix it?

  2. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:27:42 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:

    > I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    > been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    > (nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    > X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration. However,
    > after installing the nVIDIA driver and running SAX2, I can't seem to get
    > all of these settings applied at once. I tried to manually edit my
    > xorg.conf file, but this doesn't seem to be of much use. Has anyone
    > else had this problem, and if so how do you fix it?

    How are you starting X?

  3. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Steven B wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:27:42 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:
    >

    >>I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    >>been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    >>(nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    >>X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration. However,
    >>after installing the nVIDIA driver and running SAX2, I can't seem to get
    >>all of these settings applied at once. I tried to manually edit my
    >>xorg.conf file, but this doesn't seem to be of much use. Has anyone
    >>else had this problem, and if so how do you fix it?

    > How are you starting X?

    It is started automatically at bootup; I have also tried restarting it
    with Ctl-Alt-Bksp after editing xorg.conf, but it looks like the
    settings are only applied if they are edited in SAX2.

  4. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Nick Ballard wrote:

    > I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    > been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    > (nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    > X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration. However,
    > after installing the nVIDIA driver and running SAX2, I can't seem to get
    > all of these settings applied at once. I tried to manually edit my
    > xorg.conf file, but this doesn't seem to be of much use. Has anyone
    > else had this problem, and if so how do you fix it?

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html
    might check these: (?)
    # Compaq Presario R3000 [Debian]
    # Compaq Presario R3120US [Knoppix3.3,Slackware9.1]

    A fool must now and then be right by chance.

  5. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:38:41 -0700, Nick Ballard
    wrote:

    >It is started automatically at bootup; I have also tried restarting it
    >with Ctl-Alt-Bksp after editing xorg.conf, but it looks like the
    >settings are only applied if they are edited in SAX2.

    Whatever you edit might be over-written at shutdown. Try changing
    your init level to 3 and rebooting to a command prompt. Then, after
    editing, use startx to get into X. If you get what you want, you can
    change init back to 5; if not, exit to the prompt and try again.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  6. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:38:41 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:

    > Steven B wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:27:42 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    >>>been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    >>>(nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    >>>X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration. However,
    >>>after installing the nVIDIA driver and running SAX2, I can't seem to get
    >>>all of these settings applied at once. I tried to manually edit my
    >>>xorg.conf file, but this doesn't seem to be of much use. Has anyone
    >>>else had this problem, and if so how do you fix it?

    >> How are you starting X?
    >>

    > It is started automatically at bootup; I have also tried restarting it
    > with Ctl-Alt-Bksp after editing xorg.conf, but it looks like the
    > settings are only applied if they are edited in SAX2.

    It's probably started via init.d using xdm. Get to a console command
    prompt without X running. As root, type X -configure. Look in
    ~/xorg.conf.new and check it out. Make sure it looks right. Copy it to
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf and, if you feel racy, do something like "echo
    "fluxbox" > ~/.xinitrc". Then type "xinit".

    Find out what the errors are.

  7. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Steven B wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:38:41 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:
    >

    >>Steven B wrote:

    >>>How are you starting X?
    >>>

    >>It is started automatically at bootup; I have also tried restarting it
    >>with Ctl-Alt-Bksp after editing xorg.conf, but it looks like the
    >>settings are only applied if they are edited in SAX2.

    > It's probably started via init.d using xdm. Get to a console command
    > prompt without X running. As root, type X -configure. Look in
    > ~/xorg.conf.new and check it out. Make sure it looks right. Copy it to
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf and, if you feel racy, do something like "echo
    > "fluxbox" > ~/.xinitrc". Then type "xinit".
    >
    > Find out what the errors are.

    I tried this, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Actually,
    xorg.conf is already configured for all of these settings, while
    xorg.conf.new requires additional modificatons in order to run. Neither
    of them actually do what I want them to, though.

  8. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:12:41 -0700, Nick Ballard wrote:

    > I tried this, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Actually,
    > xorg.conf is already configured for all of these settings, while
    > xorg.conf.new requires additional modificatons in order to run. Neither
    > of them actually do what I want them to, though.

    What you want to do is start X with the appropriate AGP and DRI settings
    enabled so that, at very least, you can test it with the glxgears program.
    The first step toward this goal is to get X to start successfully and
    figre out the problems from there.

    You're looking for something similar to the following in
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
    (II) RADEON(0): [DRI] installation complete
    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Added 32 65536 byte vertex/indirect buffers
    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Mapped 32 vertex/indirect buffers
    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 10
    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Initialized kernel GART heap manager, 5111808
    (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled

    But that's really all I know about it.

  9. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    this is another case, it looks like, people whose system works well
    with the default values for configuring xwindows can't understand what
    the problems are.

    i have read everything on the interenet and can't find a solution to
    get xwindows to install on debian with, like you, a nvidia card. there
    are over 4,000 web pages in a google search for debian nvidia and
    install and many of them are exactly the same thing, people who
    believed the linux hype so spent 20-30 manhours trying to get it to
    work with their computer. all the solutions i saw were like the above,
    an answer by a well-meaning person who doesn't understand the problem
    since his system worked, or solutions that, themselves, didn't work. i
    did not see, of the dozens of problems i examined on numerous bulletin
    boards, newsgroups, etc. any person who said their problem was solved.

    it's one of those linux things. you have to have the right hardware,
    and you can't trust their hardware lists because the distributions i
    have tried, gentoo and debian, both recognize the hardware by model
    number and put the correct values in what they assert are the
    configuration files, if the manufacturer's websites are correct.

    this is the sort of problem that linux fans don't seem to understand.
    It runs the cost of the operating system through the roof and why
    studies showing the total cost of ownership of linux is much, much
    higher than windows might well be correct, as annoying as these folks
    find the assertion.

    you are trying to configure xwindows on an operating system sold by a
    vendor who has been selling operating systems for a couple of decades,
    and it simply doesn't work, and all these guys will start circling the
    wagons and blaming you.

    Sorry for your problems, I wish I could help, but the only linux I have
    ever been able to get to configure xwindows consistently was the old
    redhat.

    For my experience, I have tried to configure xwindows properly on the
    following distributions over the years. It has *never* taken less than
    eight manhours unless I had already installed the exact same version of
    the same distribution on the same monitor/video card combination.

    Mandrake. I never got it up at all on three different systems.
    Despite the fact that I bought the operating system at a store,
    "support" only included a website reiterating what the manual said, and
    forums in which you got answers or not. I never got an answer that
    helped.

    Gentoo. It worked perfectly from the cd, which demonstrated, somehow,
    the distribution understood my hardware environment, it took over 16
    hours to install the system on my hard drive and get it to work, then
    another eight hours on a different system.

    Redhat. Xwindows worked fairly consistently, up to release 9 on a
    variety of different platforms, including a sony laptop. There were
    problems which were fairly easily solved by changing the order services
    were installed on the system (pcmcia should be installed before
    networking, duh) but it has gone in without real difficulty on a couple
    of desktop configurations.

    I bought the enterprise version of this operating system but the
    support was really, really bad and so never paid them a dime again, and
    never would.

    Debian, my latest project, 24 manhours and counting. Given the
    installation "procedures" and lack of documentation available for
    anything other than the default values, I doubt whether I will get it
    up, but I've allocated an additional eight hours or so, so who knows?

  10. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Steven B wrote:

    > What you want to do is start X with the appropriate AGP and DRI settings
    > enabled so that, at very least, you can test it with the glxgears program.
    > The first step toward this goal is to get X to start successfully and
    > figre out the problems from there.

    Yep. AGP works, but at the cost of video quality. If I have the glx
    extensions loaded, then my display seems to want to run at a fuzzy
    1024x768 @ 16bpp, stretched over the screen so that it appears to be
    running correctly. I have gotten WXGA to work under MEPIS, and so I
    know what it looks like when it works. This wasn't it. I've tried
    switching to runlevel 3, as I've been told that runlevel 5 may cause
    problems with the hardware...this made no difference. I'm thinking
    maybe there really is something wrong with my xorg.conf file. It looks
    okay to me, but maybe somebody can look it over and let me know what
    they think.

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    .. . .
    Section "Monitor"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
    HorizSync 30-82
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "1280X800@75HZ"
    Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "--> LCD"
    VertRefresh 58-75
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    Modeline "1280x800" 104.35 1280 1360 1496 1712 800 801 804 835
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    .. . .
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[0]"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    BoardName "GeForce4 440 Go 64M"
    BusID "1:0:0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "0"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "0"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "0"
    #Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
    Screen 0
    Option "Rotate" "off"
    VendorName "NVidia"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    Screen "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0660
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    EndSection

  11. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:09:13 -0800, cdstrand wrote:

    > i have read everything on the interenet and can't find a solution to
    > get xwindows to install on debian with, like you, a nvidia card.

    I have a Diamond Viper V550 chipset (on a V330 card) which has no problems
    with the nv driver.

  12. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Steven B wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:09:13 -0800, cdstrand wrote:
    >

    >>i have read everything on the interenet and can't find a solution to
    >>get xwindows to install on debian with, like you, a nvidia card.

    > I have a Diamond Viper V550 chipset (on a V330 card) which has no problems
    > with the nv driver.

    That's great, if you only need basic 2-D graphics. We're talking about
    OpenGL, though. It seems the current versions of Slackware and Debian
    Sarge can't correctly handle the 1.0-6629 drivers, and I'm convinced
    that SUSE won't be able to handle the card altogether.

    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    "Nick Ballard" wrote in message
    > Steven B wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:09:13 -0800, cdstrand wrote:
    >>

    >>>i have read everything on the interenet and can't find a solution to
    >>>get xwindows to install on debian with, like you, a nvidia card.

    >> I have a Diamond Viper V550 chipset (on a V330 card) which has no
    >> problems
    >> with the nv driver.
    >>

    > That's great, if you only need basic 2-D graphics. We're talking about
    > OpenGL, though. It seems the current versions of Slackware and Debian
    > Sarge can't correctly handle the 1.0-6629 drivers, and I'm convinced that
    > SUSE won't be able to handle the card altogether.

    The 1.0-6629 driver is a *DOG*. Use the 1.0-6111 until further notice.

  14. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > "Nick Ballard" wrote in message
    >
    >>Steven B wrote:

    >>>I have a Diamond Viper V550 chipset (on a V330 card) which has no
    >>>problems
    >>>with the nv driver.
    >>>

    >>That's great, if you only need basic 2-D graphics. We're talking about
    >>OpenGL, though. It seems the current versions of Slackware and Debian
    >>Sarge can't correctly handle the 1.0-6629 drivers, and I'm convinced that
    >>SUSE won't be able to handle the card altogether.

    > The 1.0-6629 driver is a *DOG*. Use the 1.0-6111 until further notice.

    Yes, sir! ;-)

    http://www.usenet.com

  15. Re: Can't configure X11 correctly in SUSE 9.2

    Nick Ballard wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Linux running on a Compaq Presario R3000z, which has
    > been somewhat problematic lately due to its interesting display hardware
    > (nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go; WXGA display). I would like to be able to run
    > X11 at 1280x800, with 24-bit color depth and 3D acceleration.

    Unfortunately Nvidia have not yet published the technical specifications for
    an open source driver to be easily developed.

    I think that Nvidia products will run at 640x480 in 16 colours without
    acceleration, but I have not tested this.

    I would recommend avoiding any equipment fitted with Nvidia display hardware
    at this time.

    I recommend products based on ATI Radeon 9200 or below, where possible, if 3d
    acceleration is required.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --