Virus in Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Virus in Linux - Help ; I'm newbie in Linux, but I'm a fast leraner and I'm enjoying a lot of Linux and I don't intend to change. My question are: Does Linux catches virus using amule for example. Do I reaaly kneed a antivirus for ...

  1. Virus in Linux

    I'm newbie in Linux, but I'm a fast leraner and I'm enjoying a lot of
    Linux and I don't intend to change.

    My question are: Does Linux catches virus using amule for example.
    Do I reaaly kneed a antivirus for Linux or not?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Virus in Linux

    f-prot for linux desktop is free. lets you scan only you'll have to handle
    the infected files on you own. MS viruses don't run on linux (like most
    trojans, spyware and spam viruses) So it can be around but doesn't do any
    damage. Even if you happen to download one that runs on linux (rarely), it
    shouldn't do much damage unless you log on as root, or they managed to
    crack you root pswd. Worse to worse, you'll have to start off as new user,
    wipe out your current infected one if it does enough damage. System isn't
    compromised.

    But still, continue to observe good habits when opening emails and surfing
    the net. Be safe than sorry. I've had to reinstall windows numerous times
    even with a heavily updated virus program (even when hardly using it), but
    my linux machine hasn't slowed a nanometer for the more than a year since
    i first installed it.

    i've never been happier

    ---- 19 Owls ----

    > I'm newbie in Linux, but I'm a fast leraner and I'm enjoying a lot of
    > Linux and I don't intend to change.
    >
    > My question are: Does Linux catches virus using amule for example.
    > Do I reaaly kneed a antivirus for Linux or not?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Virus in Linux

    Kaotik wrote:

    > I'm newbie in Linux, but I'm a fast learner and I'm enjoying a lot of
    > Linux and I don't intend to change.
    >
    > My question are: Does Linux catches virus using amule for example.
    > Do I really need a antivirus for Linux or not?

    The key to this question is to think _process_: Computer viruses don't
    get "caught"; you have to somehow _run_ them to activate them as
    processes on your computer.

    Thus your question becomes: Is there any plausible and likely way that
    running a peer-to-peer network client such as aMule will bring about
    making my Linux computer automatically run locally a dangerous program
    that some remote site wants it to run? The answer is no.

    Of course, you could easily receive _via_ aMule a program that, if run,
    would do incredibly nasty things on your system, limited only by the
    file/directory rights and ownership of the user you run it as. (Thus,
    you can do a great deal more damage with the root-user account.)

    In general, if you don't have really good reason to trust a program you
    receive from third parties, don't run it. If you intend to take a
    chance and run it anyway, do it with the minimum possible amount of
    privilege. Makes sense, eh? (Same applies on other OSes, but at least
    you stand some chance of controlling and containing risk on a *ix
    platform like Linux.)

    My general thoughts on the "Linux virus" topic:
    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

+ Reply to Thread