How to stop hotplug? - Help

This is a discussion on How to stop hotplug? - Help ; Hi all For a suspend to ram script I am asked to stop hotplug with /etc/init.d/hotplug stop but in FC3 (Linux 2.6.9) there is no such script. The man on hotplug mentions /sbin/hotplug but does not say anything about starting ...

  1. How to stop hotplug?

    Hi all

    For a suspend to ram script I am asked to stop hotplug with

    /etc/init.d/hotplug stop

    but in FC3 (Linux 2.6.9) there is no such script. The man on hotplug
    mentions /sbin/hotplug but does not say anything about starting and stopping
    hotplug.

    So how does one start and stop hotplug in FC3 when one needs to in a special
    script?

    Thanks.

    --
    William P. Vrotney - vrotney@earthlink.net

  2. Re: How to stop hotplug?

    William Paul Vrotney wrote:
    > For a suspend to ram script I am asked to stop hotplug with
    >
    > /etc/init.d/hotplug stop
    >
    > but in FC3 (Linux 2.6.9) there is no such script. The man on hotplug
    > mentions /sbin/hotplug but does not say anything about starting and stopping
    > hotplug.
    >
    > So how does one start and stop hotplug in FC3 when one needs to in a special
    > script?

    From memory, when I was using RHL 7.0, to stop services, you'd do
    something like:

    /sbin/service [start|stop]

    therefore,

    /sbin/service hotplug stop

    I can't really comment on FC3, but you may want to investigate that as
    an option...

    ....Ric
    --
    Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"

  3. Re: How to stop hotplug?

    ric_man writes:
    > William Paul Vrotney wrote:
    > > For a suspend to ram script I am asked to stop hotplug with
    > >
    > > /etc/init.d/hotplug stop
    > >
    > > but in FC3 (Linux 2.6.9) there is no such script. The man on hotplug
    > > mentions /sbin/hotplug but does not say anything about starting and
    > > stopping hotplug.
    > >
    > > So how does one start and stop hotplug in FC3 when one needs to in a
    > > special script?

    > From memory, when I was using RHL 7.0, to stop services, you'd do
    > something like:
    >
    > /sbin/service [start|stop]
    >
    > therefore,
    >
    > /sbin/service hotplug stop
    >
    > I can't really comment on FC3, but you may want to investigate that as
    > an option...
    >
    > ...Ric
    > --
    > Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    > Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"
    > == Do you, uh... Gentoo? Gentoooo-hooo!! ==

    Thanks for the suggestion but, under FC3 anyway, that doesn't seem to work.
    I get

    /sbin/service hotplug stop
    hotplug: unrecognized service

    Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions here and need to specifiy more precisly
    what is going on.

    I am trying to make a script work to suspend a laptop under FC3. The
    original author (where I don't know how to contact) of a script that he
    claims works, says

    "Actually, there's not too much to set up to use S3 [acpi suspend], you
    only have to figure out what. I suspect acpid to cause crashes
    sometimes, so I disabled it. I also stopped hotplug because USB has the
    reputation of being a little powermanagement-agnostic and I don't want
    to have drivers loaded automatically while the script runs."

    So in his script he stops acpid and hotplug to take care of the USB problem
    and then puts the latop to sleep and then restarts both after coming out of
    suspend. He does this with

    /etc/init.d/hotplug stop

    which is the script that I don't have under FC3, they seemed to have changed
    the hotplug stuff. So I commented this out and his script works for me but
    when it goes to sleep /var/log/messages reports

    kernel: Stopping tasks: ======================
    kernel: usb-storage 1-5:1.0: resume is unsafe!

    And when it resumes it seems to work but the screen is blank. So I figured
    the USB must be a problem as he says. I tried

    /etc/hotplug/usb.rc stop

    and it just hangs. So at this point I just assumed that a higher level way
    to stop hotplug in general, as the original author did, was the correct
    thing to do. But that could be a wrong assumption in FC3, I haven't figured
    that out yet.

    --
    William P. Vrotney - vrotney@earthlink.net

  4. Re: How to stop hotplug?

    William Paul Vrotney wrote:

    >> From memory, when I was using RHL 7.0, to stop services, you'd do
    >>something like:
    >>
    >>/sbin/service [start|stop]
    >>
    >>therefore,
    >>
    >>/sbin/service hotplug stop
    >>
    >>I can't really comment on FC3, but you may want to investigate that as
    >>an option...
    >>
    >>...Ric
    >>--
    >>Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    >>Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"
    >>== Do you, uh... Gentoo? Gentoooo-hooo!! ==

    > Thanks for the suggestion but, under FC3 anyway, that doesn't seem to work.
    > I get
    >
    > /sbin/service hotplug stop
    > hotplug: unrecognized service
    >
    > Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions here and need to specifiy more precisly

    Sometimes the service is called hotplugd.

    /sbin/service hotplugd stop

    If you have bash completion set up on your machine, you might want to do

    /sbin/service [Tab]

    to get a list of the services on your machine. I'm on Mandrake, so Your
    Mileage May Vary.

    Joal

+ Reply to Thread