Please help. My laptop screen is too dark. - Help

This is a discussion on Please help. My laptop screen is too dark. - Help ; Hi, I am very new to linux, a couple of weeks. I have a sony laptop (PCG-GRZ615G). I installed Fedora 3, and to be honest I am happy with except that my eye are bleeding because the screen is too ...

  1. Please help. My laptop screen is too dark.

    Hi,
    I am very new to linux, a couple of weeks. I have a sony laptop
    (PCG-GRZ615G). I installed Fedora 3, and to be honest I am happy with
    except that my eye are bleeding because the screen is too dark.
    Everything except fn keys worked perfectly. I managed everything (like
    installing NTFS support, and then auto mounting all the partitions).
    However, I cannot solve this problem: No screen brightness control. I
    haver searched and serached. The only thing that I found is that there
    is this thing called _sonypi_ and using _spicctrl_ I should be able to
    control screen brigthness. I googled many times, but there is no
    information on how to configure sonypi or whatever, or how to use
    spicctrl (people assume that everybody can use these progs!! No way.
    There should be some instructions on how to use _spicctrl_, for example)
    Telling people to installing _spicctrl is not enough!! Can someone
    please help me configure/install/modify and do whatever else necessary
    to get my screen brighter? Please please please step by step instructions.

    ps. If this is not the correct group, I am sorry, can you tell me where to post.

  2. Re: Please help. My laptop screen is too dark.

    Ufuk YILDIRIM wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am very new to linux, a couple of weeks. I have a sony laptop
    > (PCG-GRZ615G). I installed Fedora 3, and to be honest I am happy with
    > except that my eye are bleeding because the screen is too dark.
    > Everything except fn keys worked perfectly. I managed everything (like
    > installing NTFS support, and then auto mounting all the partitions).
    > However, I cannot solve this problem: No screen brightness control. I
    > haver searched and serached. The only thing that I found is that there
    > is this thing called _sonypi_ and using _spicctrl_ I should be able to
    > control screen brigthness. I googled many times, but there is no
    > information on how to configure sonypi or whatever, or how to use
    > spicctrl (people assume that everybody can use these progs!! No way.
    > There should be some instructions on how to use _spicctrl_, for example)
    > Telling people to installing _spicctrl is not enough!! Can someone
    > please help me configure/install/modify and do whatever else necessary
    > to get my screen brighter? Please please please step by step instructions.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance for your help.
    > ps. If this is not the correct group, I am sorry, can you tell me where
    > to post.

    Are there any 'gamma' settings in your XF86config file?

    I've got a Radeon 9500 and I'm using the fglrx driver which has these
    options, presumably you could adjust these...

    Option "GammaCorrectionI" "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII" "0x00000000"

    Is the brightness OK on the consoles? (Ctrl - Alt - F1 though F6, F7
    being XFree)

  3. Re: Please help. My laptop screen is too dark.

    if you are using kde open control centre go
    peripherals -> display -> then click the monitor gamma
    and do what you want from there

+ Reply to Thread