Re-building a partition table? - Help

This is a discussion on Re-building a partition table? - Help ; Is it possible to re-build a partition table in Linux?**I*accidentally reformatted a partition!**There's*nothing*critical*on*it*but*I*t hought*it might be an interesting exercise. I copied it with dd if=/dev/hdb8 of=/tmp/part.img and a look at part.img shows the data's still there. Any suggestions about how ...

  1. Re-building a partition table?

    Is it possible to re-build a partition table in Linux?**I*accidentally
    reformatted a partition!**There's*nothing*critical*on*it*but*I*t hought*it
    might be an interesting exercise.

    I copied it with

    dd if=/dev/hdb8 of=/tmp/part.img

    and a look at part.img shows the data's still there.

    Any suggestions about how I should proceed now...?

  2. Re: Re-building a partition table?

    In article , Barg wrote:

    >Is it possible to re-build a partition table in Linux? Iaccidentally
    >reformatted a partition! There's nothing critical on it but I thought
    >it might be an interesting exercise.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 57838 Mar 8 2004 Partition
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 24375 Nov 3 2003 Partition-Rescue

    If you do a google search on this, there have been quite a number of similar
    problems. Try looking for a thread in... oh, it was cross-posted to several
    groups:

    From: zlsiial@cfs2.mcc.ac.uk (Dr A O V Le Blanc)
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.syst em,
    comp.os.linux.development.apps
    Subject: Re: Nuked partition table -- is recovery possible?
    Date: 13 Mar 1998 07:46:55 GMT

    which includes a uuencoded tarball of a perl script used to recover partitions.
    That specific posting also includes a small printout of a demo of the script.

    You also posted this request to comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.questions.
    Please don't multi-post. If you must post the same article to several groups,
    put all of the newsgroups into one 'Newsgroup:' header, separated by commas,
    and put a follow-up header directing replies to a single group. In that manner,
    people who read multiple groups only need to download one copy of your post.

    Also, please look at news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc
    on the 15th. Every month, there is a posting titled "List of Big Eight
    Newsgroups". The comp.os.linux* groups you posted to are not official, and
    as a result are poorly distributed.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread