Newbie needs advice on learning Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Newbie needs advice on learning Linux - Help ; Greetings! I have successfully loaded Red Hat's Fedora Linux on an extra computer. I am very knowledgeable with Windows, but have found that I really am starting from scratch on Linux. I need some direction... can someone point me to ...

  1. Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    Greetings!

    I have successfully loaded Red Hat's Fedora Linux on an extra computer.
    I am very knowledgeable with Windows, but have found that I really am
    starting from scratch on Linux.

    I need some direction... can someone point me to some *good* beginner
    resources? Generally speaking, I need a good overview of Linux and it's
    different parts. Perhaps some kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?
    There are tons of things out there on the web, but am having trouble
    finding "the big picture" of Linux... I get lost in all the details.

    After that, I need some basic training on running Linux... how to do all
    those things that is easy for me in MS Windows. For example, I have yet
    to figure out how to make my GNOME (?) GUI environment stop looking so
    huge and clunky. On MS Windows, I would go to the display properties and
    set it to a higher resolution and such... but I can't seem to get
    anything to change on my Linux display.

    Lastly, I posted this by just glancing at the list of newsgroups on
    Linux. Is there a more appropriate newsgroup for those of us in need of
    a crash course in Linux (i.e., raw recruit in need of serious basic
    training)?

    Cheers!
    -Commander Dave

  2. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:45:16 -0600, "Commander Dave"
    wrote:

    > Perhaps some kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?

    Not just perhaps. There is such a book and it's a good start.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    "Joe Zeff" wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Perhaps some kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?

    > Not just perhaps. There is such a book and it's a good start.

    True, but I was hesitating on getting this book due to some poor (or at
    best, mixed) reviews of it on Amazon. Are you recommending this book
    from personal experience?

    Thanks for the help,
    -Commander Dave

  4. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:44:25 -0600, "Commander Dave"
    wrote:

    >True, but I was hesitating on getting this book due to some poor (or at
    >best, mixed) reviews of it on Amazon. Are you recommending this book
    >from personal experience?

    Yes. It may not focus on the same disty you have, but most of the
    info will be general enough to be useful and it's a good way to get
    started.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    In article , Commander Dave wrote:

    >I have successfully loaded Red Hat's Fedora Linux on an extra computer.
    >I am very knowledgeable with Windows, but have found that I really am
    >starting from scratch on Linux.

    Hmmm... there is a 'DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO' though it's a bit old.

    >I need some direction... can someone point me to some *good* beginner
    >resources?

    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html
    http://tldp.org/guides.html

    There are some 480 HOWTOs (which might be installed on your system in the
    /usr/share/HOWTO/) that cover a large amount of the questions. As for the
    guides, there are over twenty books you can download - including the
    users guide and system administration guide.

    >I need a good overview of Linux and it's different parts. Perhaps some
    >kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?

    It exists - the author is a well respected individual, and it even came
    with a GPL installation of Linux.

    >There are tons of things out there on the web, but am having trouble
    >finding "the big picture" of Linux... I get lost in all the details.

    There's also tons of books out there. No one source is going to be what
    you need - I've got fifteen books between the two monitors on this desk
    (and I refer to them frequently), and more in the bookcase behind me.

    >After that, I need some basic training on running Linux... how to do all
    >those things that is easy for me in MS Windows. For example, I have yet
    >to figure out how to make my GNOME (?) GUI environment stop looking so
    >huge and clunky.

    Inference - X is not set to the correct resolution. TRY holding the
    left 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' keys, and pressing the plus and minus keys on
    the right of your numeric keypad.

    >Lastly, I posted this by just glancing at the list of newsgroups on
    >Linux. Is there a more appropriate newsgroup for those of us in need of
    >a crash course in Linux (i.e., raw recruit in need of serious basic
    >training)?

    On the 15th of every month, there is an article posted to the
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc newsgroups
    titled "List of Big Eight Newsgroups".

    comp.os.linux.advocacy Benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
    comp.os.linux.alpha Linux on Digital Alpha machines.
    comp.os.linux.announce Announcements important to the Linux community.
    (Moderated)
    comp.os.linux.answers FAQs, How-To's, READMEs, etc. about Linux. (Moderated)
    comp.os.linux.development.apps Writing Linux applications, porting to Linux.
    comp.os.linux.development.system Linux kernels, device drivers, modules.
    comp.os.linux.embedded Linux operating system on embedded hardware.
    comp.os.linux.hardware Hardware compatibility with the Linux operating system.
    comp.os.linux.m68k Linux operating system on 680x0 Amiga, Atari, VME.
    comp.os.linux.misc Linux-specific topics not covered by other groups.
    comp.os.linux.networking Networking and communications under Linux.
    comp.os.linux.portable Linux OS on portable PCs.
    comp.os.linux.powerpc Linux systems running on PowerPC microprocessors.
    comp.os.linux.security Security and the GNU/Linux Operating System.
    comp.os.linux.setup Linux installation and system administration.
    comp.os.linux.x Linux X Window System servers, clients, libs and fonts.
    comp.os.linux.xbox Linux on Xbox.

    Notice that 'comp.os.linux.help' isn't listed - it's not an official newgroup
    which means that not all servers carry it. Additionally, there are literally
    hundreds of groups in the 'alt.*' hierarchy, but again not all news servers
    carry them.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    Commander Dave voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in comp.os.linux.help
    on Fri 10 Dec 2004 08:45:16p:

    > Greetings!
    >
    > I have successfully loaded Red Hat's Fedora Linux on an extra computer.
    > I am very knowledgeable with Windows, but have found that I really am
    > starting from scratch on Linux.
    >
    > I need some direction... can someone point me to some *good* beginner
    > resources? Generally speaking, I need a good overview of Linux and it's
    > different parts. Perhaps some kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?
    > There are tons of things out there on the web, but am having trouble
    > finding "the big picture" of Linux... I get lost in all the details.
    >
    > After that, I need some basic training on running Linux... how to do

    all
    > those things that is easy for me in MS Windows. For example, I have yet
    > to figure out how to make my GNOME (?) GUI environment stop looking so
    > huge and clunky. On MS Windows, I would go to the display properties

    and
    > set it to a higher resolution and such... but I can't seem to get
    > anything to change on my Linux display.
    >
    > Lastly, I posted this by just glancing at the list of newsgroups on
    > Linux. Is there a more appropriate newsgroup for those of us in need of
    > a crash course in Linux (i.e., raw recruit in need of serious basic
    > training)?
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -Commander Dave

    Good place to ask for docs is a.b.e-book.technical

    Found many OS related tomes in there

    Later......

    Labrat...... |:^{)

    A recent convert to the flightless bird.

  7. Re: Newbie needs advice on learning Linux

    Commander Dave voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in comp.os.linux.help
    on Fri 10 Dec 2004 08:45:16p:

    > Greetings!
    >
    > I have successfully loaded Red Hat's Fedora Linux on an extra computer.
    > I am very knowledgeable with Windows, but have found that I really am
    > starting from scratch on Linux.
    >
    > I need some direction... can someone point me to some *good* beginner
    > resources? Generally speaking, I need a good overview of Linux and it's
    > different parts. Perhaps some kind of "Linux for Dummies" type thing?
    > There are tons of things out there on the web, but am having trouble
    > finding "the big picture" of Linux... I get lost in all the details.
    >
    > After that, I need some basic training on running Linux... how to do

    all
    > those things that is easy for me in MS Windows. For example, I have yet
    > to figure out how to make my GNOME (?) GUI environment stop looking so
    > huge and clunky. On MS Windows, I would go to the display properties

    and
    > set it to a higher resolution and such... but I can't seem to get
    > anything to change on my Linux display.
    >
    > Lastly, I posted this by just glancing at the list of newsgroups on
    > Linux. Is there a more appropriate newsgroup for those of us in need of
    > a crash course in Linux (i.e., raw recruit in need of serious basic
    > training)?
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -Commander Dave

    I checked my HD and have a .CHM file for John Wiley and Sons RedHat
    Fedorea bible. 14 Megs so if you have a place I ca UL to you or you can
    ask for it on a.b.e-book.technical would be better. With a dial-up it
    would take me a while.

    --
    Later......

    Labrat...... |:^{)

    A recent convert to the flightless bird.

+ Reply to Thread