OK, so I've got this machine (Gentoo Linux) with its partitions setup as
such:

/dev/hda1 - ext2 - /boot
/dev/hda2 - swap
/dev/hda3 - ext3 - /

There was a power outage and when the machine came back up, it tried to
run fsck but when it attempts to do so on /dev/hda3, it gives a 'bad
magic number in superblock error' and prompts me to either try to boot
normally (by pressing CTRL-D) or to attempt to repair manually by
entering the root password. I entered the root password and ran:

/sbin/fsck.ext3 /dev/hda3

and got:

e2fsck 1.33 (21-Apr-2003)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
/sbin/fsck.ext3: bad magic number in superblock while trying to open
/dev/hda3
The superblock cannot be read or does not describe a valid ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock
is corrupt and you might trying running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck -b 8193

So I ran
/sbin/fsck.ext3 -b 8193 /dev/hda3

and I received the exact same error message.

Please note, I do not have physical access to the machine.

Can this partition be saved?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian