Suse 9.2 crash - Help

This is a discussion on Suse 9.2 crash - Help ; When I closed down last night Suse 9.2 was not complaining. When I booted up today I got an error message reading: The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE: No write access to $HOME directory (/home/alex) ...

  1. Suse 9.2 crash

    When I closed down last night Suse 9.2 was not complaining. When I booted up
    today I got an error message reading:

    The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
    No write access to $HOME directory (/home/alex)
    KDE is unable to start

    After a delay another message appears reading;

    Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

    A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex. If I log on as root
    there is no /home directory.

    So where do I start?

    I am a new convert to Linux so I need fully expanded answers - no terse
    enigmatic replies please.

    Alex.

    Alex.

  2. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    Alex wrote:
    > When I closed down last night Suse 9.2 was not complaining. When I booted up
    > today I got an error message reading:
    >
    > The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
    > No write access to $HOME directory (/home/alex)
    > KDE is unable to start
    >
    > After a delay another message appears reading;
    >
    > Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
    >
    > A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex. If I log on as root
    > there is no /home directory.
    >
    > So where do I start?
    >
    > I am a new convert to Linux so I need fully expanded answers - no terse
    > enigmatic replies please.
    >
    > Alex.
    >
    > Alex.

    What does /etc/fstab say?

    cat /etc/fstab

    What does

    ls -ld /home

    come back with?

  3. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    Alex wrote:

    > A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex.**If*I*log*on*as*root
    > there is no /home directory.

    with most distros, root doesnt have a home in /home,
    its home is /root. have you done this?:

    [shell] ls -al /

    and see if you see a "/home" directory listed?
    ownership should be root:root. if /home exists, do a:
    [shell] ls -al /home

    do you see an "alex" subdirectory? if so, what
    is the ownership shown as?
    Software, n.: Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.

  4. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    Alex wrote:

    > When I closed down last night Suse 9.2 was not complaining. When I booted
    > up today I got an error message reading:
    >
    > The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
    > No write access to $HOME directory (/home/alex)
    > KDE is unable to start
    >
    > After a delay another message appears reading;
    >
    > Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
    >
    > A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex. If I log on as
    > root there is no /home directory.
    >
    > So where do I start?
    >
    > I am a new convert to Linux so I need fully expanded answers - no terse
    > enigmatic replies please.
    >
    > Alex.
    >
    > Alex.

    Are you using a shared network home directory? I had a problem with KDE
    hanging yesterday, for some reason, an option got changed somewhere and the
    NFS'ed home directory was read only. I've moved it back to /nethome for now
    to monitor the situation...

    Dave

  5. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:39:04 -0700, "Timothy J. Bogart"
    wrote:
    >Alex wrote:
    >> When I closed down last night Suse 9.2 was not complaining. When I booted up
    >> today I got an error message reading:
    >>
    >> The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
    >> No write access to $HOME directory (/home/alex)
    >> KDE is unable to start
    >>
    >> After a delay another message appears reading;
    >>
    >> Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
    >>
    >> A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex. If I log on as root
    >> there is no /home directory.
    >>
    >> So where do I start?
    >>
    >> I am a new convert to Linux so I need fully expanded answers - no terse
    >> enigmatic replies please.
    >>
    >> Alex.
    >>
    >> Alex.

    >What does /etc/fstab say?
    >
    >cat /etc/fstab
    >
    >What does
    >
    >ls -ld /home
    >
    >come back with?

    The best way I could illustrate the results (colour and all) was by posting it
    to a web page at:

    http://alexshaw.webhop.net/linux/screen.html

    Its not a particularly big file but I have spread it out so that the text is
    large enough to read so you will need your scroll bars.

    Note the files at the bottom of the screen in the boot directory that have a
    dark background. I have seen this before but do not know what it signifies.

    Alex.

  6. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:35:12 +0000, Alex wrote:

    >Its not a particularly big file but I have spread it out so that the text is
    >large enough to read so you will need your scroll bars.

    I might be wrong, but it looks like /home points to / and there's a
    second /home inside it. That one's probably the real /home. Try
    typing:
    alias
    to see what's alias'd to what, and if /home is redefined to /. Don't
    know if you can do that, but if so, it'd explain things.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    Alex wrote:
    >>What does /etc/fstab say?
    >>
    >>cat /etc/fstab
    >>
    >>What does
    >>
    >>ls -ld /home
    >>
    >>come back with?

    > The best way I could illustrate the results (colour and all) was by posting it
    > to a web page at:
    >
    > http://alexshaw.webhop.net/linux/screen.html

    I would instead of 'ls -ld /home' do 'ls -ld /home/*'. I get this then:
    houghi@penne : ls -ld /home/*
    drwxr-xr-x 89 houghi users 6120 2004-11-30 22:11 /home/houghi
    drwxr-xr-x 22 test users 1280 2004-11-15 09:15 /home/test

    I have no idea where the original file want to write to. Anybody got a
    clue?

    --
    houghi My experience with SUSE : http://houghi.org
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will

  8. Re: Suse 9.2 crash

    Alex wrote:

    > A log on box then appears but I cannot log on as alex. If I log on as
    > root there is no /home directory.

    How much space is left on your disk? Do a "df" on the console please. If
    there is less space than 5% free on the disk, then you would only be
    able to log on as root, so that you may clean up a little and free some
    space.

    --
    Allein die Dunkelheit ist real, das Licht scheint nur so.

+ Reply to Thread