Installing Firefox - Help

This is a discussion on Installing Firefox - Help ; I have down-loaded the compressed installation files for Firefox into home/Documents and decompressed them. A folder home/Documents/firefox_installer has been generated containing: config.ini firefox_installer firefox_installer_bin header.png install.ini license.txt watermark.png and a sub-folder containing 6 x *.xpi files The firefox* files are ...

  1. Installing Firefox

    I have down-loaded the compressed installation files for Firefox into
    home/Documents and decompressed them.

    A folder home/Documents/firefox_installer has been generated containing:

    config.ini
    firefox_installer
    firefox_installer_bin
    header.png
    install.ini
    license.txt
    watermark.png

    and a sub-folder containing 6 x *.xpi files

    The firefox* files are executable but I can not get either of them to activate.

    The Firefox site does not have a help or FAQ section to help and there is no
    help file with the down-load so, as a beginner, I am stuck.

    I am pretty sure I'm doing something stupid and it would help if I knew what.
    Alex.

  2. Re: Installing Firefox

    Alex wrote in news:9nh1q0lrl3f2bhbvillf6b338l0uen355v@4ax.com:

    > I have down-loaded the compressed installation files for Firefox into
    > home/Documents and decompressed them.
    >
    > A folder home/Documents/firefox_installer has been generated
    > containing:
    >
    > config.ini
    > firefox_installer
    > firefox_installer_bin
    > header.png
    > install.ini
    > license.txt
    > watermark.png
    >
    > and a sub-folder containing 6 x *.xpi files
    >
    > The firefox* files are executable but I can not get either of them to
    > activate.

    Exactly what does the statement above mean?

    Did you simply try from the command line

    ../firefox_installer

    ????????????????????

  3. Re: Installing Firefox

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:05:53 +0000, Alex wrote:

    >I am pretty sure I'm doing something stupid and it would help if I knew what.
    >Alex.

    have you tried this:

    ../firefox_installer

    and if so, what happened?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Installing Firefox

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:54:42 GMT, Joe Zeff
    wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:05:53 +0000, Alex wrote:
    >
    >>I am pretty sure I'm doing something stupid and it would help if I knew what.
    >>Alex.

    >have you tried this:
    >
    >./firefox_installer
    >
    >and if so, what happened?

    Initially I forgot that Linux was fussy about specifying the current directory
    and forgot to include the "./" but when I did I got a message reading:

    (firefox-installer_bin:5441): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    which is pretty meaningless to me.

    Alex.

  5. Re: Installing Firefox

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:41:00 +0000, Alex wrote:

    > Initially I forgot that Linux was fussy about specifying the current directory
    > and forgot to include the "./" but when I did I got a message reading:
    >
    > (firefox-installer_bin:5441): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >
    > which is pretty meaningless to me.

    It seems you are attempting to install firefox from the console. Do it
    from within X.

  6. Re: Installing Firefox

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:52:52 -0400, chino wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:41:00 +0000, Alex wrote:
    >
    >> Initially I forgot that Linux was fussy about specifying the current directory
    >> and forgot to include the "./" but when I did I got a message reading:
    >>
    >> (firefox-installer_bin:5441): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >>
    >> which is pretty meaningless to me.
    >>

    >It seems you are attempting to install firefox from the console. Do it
    >from within X.

    Yes thanks 'Chino' running it in the GUI did something. There are now files in
    a new folder home/bin/firefox_installer but that is it.

    I do not mind consulting reference books and manuals but I would not expect to
    find information about a specific application there so some form of help file,
    with the down-load, to explain the installation process, would have been
    helpful.

    Firefox started up and I was asked whether I wanted it as my default browser and
    I answered yes and closed it but how do I open it again? None of the new files
    appear to launch it and nowhere is there any driving instructions.

    As you have gathered I am new to Linux but if Firefox is a typical Linux install
    I cant see that there is not a lot of hope of Linux coming into general use.

    Alex.

  7. Re: Installing Firefox

    > Yes thanks 'Chino' running it in the GUI did something. There are now
    > files in a new folder home/bin/firefox_installer but that is it.
    >
    > I do not mind consulting reference books and manuals but I would not
    > expect to find information about a specific application there so some
    > form of help file, with the down-load, to explain the installation
    > process, would have been helpful.
    >
    > Firefox started up and I was asked whether I wanted it as my default
    > browser and I answered yes and closed it but how do I open it again?
    > None of the new files appear to launch it and nowhere is there any
    > driving instructions.

    The installation script was supposed to ask you where you wanted firefox
    installed. Se if there is a directory called /usr/lib/firefox or
    /usr/local/firefox. You can also update the system database with updatedb
    and when it finishes (it takes a few minutes) issue the command:

    locate /firefox

    and see where firefox was installed. There should be an executable called
    firefox.

    >As you have gathered I am new to Linux but if Firefox is a typical Linux
    >install I cant see that there is not a lot of hope of Linux coming into
    >general use.

    The firefox you downloaded is not a typical linux install, but rather one
    designed for people used to m$ windows installations. A typical linux
    installation file of firefox comes in tar.gz or tar.bz2 format, and is
    decompressed directly into the desired directory (usually /usr/lib),
    without the need for compiling.

  8. Re: Installing Firefox

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:52:58 -0400, chino wrote:

    SNIP

    >The installation script was supposed to ask you where you wanted firefox
    >installed. Se if there is a directory called /usr/lib/firefox or
    >/usr/local/firefox. You can also update the system database with updatedb
    >and when it finishes (it takes a few minutes) issue the command:
    >
    >locate /firefox
    >
    >and see where firefox was installed. There should be an executable called
    >firefox.
    >
    >>As you have gathered I am new to Linux but if Firefox is a typical Linux
    >>install I cant see that there is not a lot of hope of Linux coming into
    >>general use.

    >The firefox you downloaded is not a typical linux install, but rather one
    >designed for people used to m$ windows installations. A typical linux
    >installation file of firefox comes in tar.gz or tar.bz2 format, and is
    >decompressed directly into the desired directory (usually /usr/lib),
    >without the need for compiling.

    Thanks for your help - I found it and now have a smart looking Firfox icon on my
    desk top.

    Alex.

+ Reply to Thread