trying to tar 4GB files - Help

This is a discussion on trying to tar 4GB files - Help ; Hi, I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn them to DVDs. This is the command I've used: tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/ When I do this, it only tars ...

  1. trying to tar 4GB files

    Hi,
    I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn
    them to DVDs.
    This is the command I've used:
    tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/

    When I do this, it only tars a 372K file for traball1.tar then exits
    with an 'Error is not recoverable: exiting now.'

    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

    geofgibson@cox.net

  2. Re: trying to tar 4GB files

    Geof Gibson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn them
    > to DVDs.
    > This is the command I've used:
    > tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/
    >
    > When I do this, it only tars a 372K file for traball1.tar then exits
    > with an 'Error is not recoverable: exiting now.'
    >
    > I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
    >
    > geofgibson@cox.net

    Why not create one big tarball and then split it using 'split'; a quick
    look at the GNU tar online manual suggested (to me, at least!) that
    this is the easiest option by far ;-)?

    split --bytes=4096m myfile.tar myfile

    should do the trick; you will get a number of files called myfileaa,
    myfileab, myfileac etc. of 4GB each.

    To save time and harddisc space, you can also pipe the two steps as
    follows (I hope!):

    tar --create --verbose mysourcedir|split --bytes=4096m - myfile

+ Reply to Thread