trying to tar to 4GB sized files - Help

This is a discussion on trying to tar to 4GB sized files - Help ; Hi, I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn them to DVDs. This is the command I've used: tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/ When I do this, it only tars ...

  1. trying to tar to 4GB sized files

    Hi,
    I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn
    them to DVDs.
    This is the command I've used:
    tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/

    When I do this, it only tars a 372K file for traball1.tar then exits
    with an 'Error is not recoverable: exiting now.'

    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

    geofgibson@cox.net

  2. Re: trying to tar to 4GB sized files

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:03:38 -0800, Geof Gibson wrote:
    | Hi,
    | I'm trying to tar folders down to 4 GB sized tarballs so I can burn
    | them to DVDs.
    | This is the command I've used:
    | tar -cvML 4000000 -f tarball1.tar -f tarball2.tar source_dir/
    |
    | When I do this, it only tars a 372K file for traball1.tar then exits
    | with an 'Error is not recoverable: exiting now.'
    |
    | I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

    You may have more luck dividing the task up a bit.

    tar cvf - source_dir/ | split -b 4000m - tarball.tar.

    This will produce files like tarball.tar.aa & tarball.tar.ab, etc,
    which can be written to DVD.

    You will need to 'cat' all the files together to extract the data later.

    cat tarball.tar.?? | tar xf -

    --
    Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
    Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

+ Reply to Thread