    Richard Burke
    Lenox, MA

  2. Re: USB memory stick

    On 2004-11-10, Richard Burke wrote:
    > I am having a problem mounting a usb 'memory stick' drive. I gather
    > that usb devices in general are problematic. Can anyone steer me in a good
    > direction?
    >
    > I am running the fc-2 distro on a four year old home built machine.

    For a start:

    Do you have USB support enabled in your kernel?
    Is hotplug installed?
    Can you connect and use other USB devices?

    Sorry if these seem like stupid questions; I don't use Fedora. My
    experience though is that a properly configured kernel + hotplug
    allows the computer to "sense" the presence of USB devices.

    Mounting the devices is another matter. On my machine I created mount
    points for as many USB ports I have:

    As root: mkdir /mnt/flash1, mkdir /mnt/flash2 ...

    then edit /etc/fstab with lines for the new devices:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash1 vfat rw,noauto,user,exec,noatime 0
    0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/flash2 vfat rw,noauto,user,exec,noatime 0
    0
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/flash3 vfat rw,noauto,user,exec,noatime 0
    0

    These are the things I would check first.

    HTH

    Dick Dery

  3. Re: USB memory stick

    My experience has been quite the opposite. USB devices work effortlessly
    (granted, I've only used external hard disks, cameras, web cams, mice,
    keyboards, and flash drives).

    I do know that there are problems with SanDisk mini-cruzer sticks. The same
    problem appears under Windows too (though Linux seems more sensitive; Linux
    seems to balk about 90% of the time while Windows balks about 10%).

    Using Mandrake, hotplug will automagically detect the drive on insert and
    mount it. I don't know if FC2 is configured like that by default (I don't
    think so).

    The general procedure is:

    1. insert the memory stick
    1a. if a new SCSI drive entry doesn't appear under /dev when
    you do that, you might need to rescan the SCSI bus. There's
    a script rescan_scsi.sh that does that for you. This seems
    to only happen with older kernels.
    2. mount the drive (usually they are formatted FAT32) somewhere

    When done with the drive, unmount it before you pull it out of the USB port
    or else your changes may not be committed to the device.

    --
    Remove '.nospam' from e-mail address to reply by e-mail

+ Reply to Thread