Where do I look for...? - Help

This is a discussion on Where do I look for...? - Help ; I want to set up a Dell PowerEdge 600SC as a multifunction Linux server, prefferably using Mandrake. It is intended to be hooked up to my cable modem, and then function as router (with 3 add-in NICs), web server, ftp ...

  1. Where do I look for...?

    I want to set up a Dell PowerEdge 600SC as a multifunction Linux server,
    prefferably using Mandrake. It is intended to be hooked up to my cable
    modem, and then function as router (with 3 add-in NICs), web server, ftp
    server, possibly mail server (or at least go out and collect all of my mail
    and centralize it) and whatever other uses I might come up with.

    1800MHz P4
    1GB RAM
    2x 40GB EIDE HD (not RAID)
    CD-ROM
    Built-in ethernet
    3x add-in D-Link DFE530TX PCI adapters

    Where do I go for information on how to set all of this up, make it secure,
    be able to access it remotely and so on, which both a complete novice and
    self-taught power user can comprehend?

    Yeah, tall order, I know 8^D

    P.S.: I forget, do I need to use cross-link cables for the 3 NICs in the
    server to connect directly to other PCs?

  2. Re: Where do I look for...?

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:20:47 -0500, "DD Gamer"
    wrote:

    >P.S.: I forget, do I need to use cross-link cables for the 3 NICs in the
    >server to connect directly to other PCs?

    Why bother with three NICs? Just connect one to a hub and Bob's your
    uncle.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Where do I look for...?

    "Joe Zeff" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:20:47 -0500, "DD Gamer"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >P.S.: I forget, do I need to use cross-link cables for the 3 NICs in the
    > >server to connect directly to other PCs?

    > Why bother with three NICs? Just connect one to a hub and Bob's your
    > uncle.

    I had them, I didn't have a hub.

+ Reply to Thread