Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem) - Help

This is a discussion on Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem) - Help ; Hello, I've a 160gb hd , that I want to configure this way: 70gb for WinXp, 70gb 2nd ntfs partition, 20gb linux Fedora2 I tried to install Fedora2 alone, it works. Then I formatted and installed WinXp alone, and it ...

  1. Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem)

    Hello,
    I've a 160gb hd , that I want to configure this way:
    70gb for WinXp, 70gb 2nd ntfs partition, 20gb linux Fedora2

    I tried to install Fedora2 alone, it works.
    Then I formatted and installed WinXp alone, and it works.
    Now I tried in every way to install Fedora2: automatic and manual
    installation, grub in mbr or same partition of fedora (using Acronis
    OSSelector as boot manager), force LBA32 and not, using 25 or the
    whole space left, I really tried almost every combination.

    But at the end, when I start linux (with grub or another boot
    manager), I only get:

    grub>

    and Fedora doesn't load.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem)

    Mattia wrote:

    > But at the end, when I start linux (with grub or another boot
    > manager), I only get:
    >
    > grub>
    >
    > and Fedora doesn't load.

    .... can you use fedora CD and "boot installed system"?
    while in the Live CD, show us the output of:
    [shell] fdisk -l /dev/hda

    and whichever partition has /boot:
    [shell] cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

    and whichever partition has /:
    [shell] cat /etc/fstab

    for comparison, might try: http://www.mepis.org/
    get the Live CD - it is easily installed to the
    hard drive from a Live session; click the "download"
    link and get "SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso" from one
    of the mirrors
    Q: How many supply-siders does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. The darkness will cause the light bulb to change by itself.

  3. Re: Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem)

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:00:28 +0100, Mattia wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I've a 160gb hd , that I want to configure this way:
    > 70gb for WinXp, 70gb 2nd ntfs partition, 20gb linux Fedora2
    >
    > I tried to install Fedora2 alone, it works.
    > Then I formatted and installed WinXp alone, and it works.
    > Now I tried in every way to install Fedora2: automatic and manual
    > installation, grub in mbr or same partition of fedora (using Acronis
    > OSSelector as boot manager), force LBA32 and not, using 25 or the
    > whole space left, I really tried almost every combination.
    >
    > But at the end, when I start linux (with grub or another boot
    > manager), I only get:
    >
    > grub>
    >
    > and Fedora doesn't load.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    I had Windows XP on this laptop, so I used Partition Magic 8 to shrink the
    NTFS partition and had Anaconda create the Linux partitions in the freed
    space. I've read that Windows assumes that it will get the whole disk,
    and will mess up any OS installed before it.

  4. Re: Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruptionproblem)

    Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > I had Windows XP on this laptop, so I used Partition Magic 8 to shrink the
    > NTFS partition and had Anaconda create the Linux partitions in the freed
    > space. I've read that Windows assumes that it will get the whole disk,
    > and will mess up any OS installed before it.

    I hear a lot of things, too, not all true.

    I am not a big fan of Windows, but I had to install XP on a machine mostly
    used for something else and running Linux most of the time. I boot up XP
    once in a while.

    I am not sure what the Windows XP installer would do when presented with
    totally blank disks fresh out of the box from the manufacturer. What I did
    was to use tomsrbt, which I have on a CD-ROM, but it will still fit on a
    floppy, and used _fdisk_ to format the 80 G /dev/hda drive with 4
    partitions. I also formatted the /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

    /dev/hda had a partition table at that point like this:

    /dev/hda1 24G ntfs
    /dev/hda2 4G vfat
    /dev/hda3 100M ext2
    /dev/hda4 rest W95 Ext'd LBA (code f)

    I then installed XP and it took hda1 and hda2 and left the rest alone.
    I then installed Fedora Core 2 and formatted the rest of hda, and sda and
    sdb with the disk druid.

    (Later I removed Fedora and installed Red Hat Linux 9, for reasons posted
    somewhere else on this newsgroup, but that is another story.)

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 07:15:01 up 10 days, 10:08, 4 users, load average: 4.37, 4.33, 4.25

  5. Re: Fedora2 and WinXP installation problem (not the XP corruption problem)

    the general procedure
    the arrogance of Windows OS is a well known fact, that it won't recognize
    anything else and merrily go and clear the MBR. So it doesn't matter which
    OS you install first. Now in the present scenario you have both XP and FC2.
    You can use your Fedora CD to start the computer, type "linux rescue" when
    it asks you to press enter to start installation.
    Then you can configure grub or lilo.

    your specific case
    even though it works, i'm not that much of a fan of using LABEL in grub.
    because it works in precompiled kernel supplied as RPM from Redhat, once i
    recompile it doesn't work, so i use explicit naming of the partition.
    i seen the grub prompt, whenever the grub couldn't locate the /boot
    partition, so you can try replacing the label with the explicit parition
    number like (hd0,2) or (hd0,3)
    jc

    "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    > Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    >
    > > I had Windows XP on this laptop, so I used Partition Magic 8 to shrink

    the
    > > NTFS partition and had Anaconda create the Linux partitions in the freed
    > > space. I've read that Windows assumes that it will get the whole disk,
    > > and will mess up any OS installed before it.
    > >

    > I hear a lot of things, too, not all true.
    >
    > I am not a big fan of Windows, but I had to install XP on a machine mostly
    > used for something else and running Linux most of the time. I boot up XP
    > once in a while.
    >
    > I am not sure what the Windows XP installer would do when presented with
    > totally blank disks fresh out of the box from the manufacturer. What I did
    > was to use tomsrbt, which I have on a CD-ROM, but it will still fit on a
    > floppy, and used _fdisk_ to format the 80 G /dev/hda drive with 4
    > partitions. I also formatted the /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
    >
    > /dev/hda had a partition table at that point like this:
    >
    > /dev/hda1 24G ntfs
    > /dev/hda2 4G vfat
    > /dev/hda3 100M ext2
    > /dev/hda4 rest W95 Ext'd LBA (code f)
    >
    > I then installed XP and it took hda1 and hda2 and left the rest alone.
    > I then installed Fedora Core 2 and formatted the rest of hda, and sda and
    > sdb with the disk druid.
    >
    > (Later I removed Fedora and installed Red Hat Linux 9, for reasons posted
    > somewhere else on this newsgroup, but that is another story.)
    >
    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 07:15:01 up 10 days, 10:08, 4 users, load average: 4.37, 4.33,

    4.25

+ Reply to Thread