I can only get access to a USB external Maxtor disk drive as ROOT -- I
need this to be accessible to USERS. It's a 300GB Maxtor USB drive.

Hotplugging seems to cause some problems anyway so is there a boot
option on turning this off --I did see a thread somewhere but I've lost
the link.

Eventually the device is located as a scsi disk (SDA, SDA1,SDA5 --
physical disk SDA, SDA1 extended partition SDA5 mountable RO windows
NTFS partition)

However the fstab entries are processed BEFORE USB is activated so boot
gives message /dev/SDA5 not a block device.

If after boot I try and mount manually (mkdir /mnt/usbdisk
mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda5 /mnt/usbdisk) I can only access the disk
as ROOT and even as root I can't change permissions to allow USER
access.

I need 3 things I think but can't find any info.

1) Disabling hotplugging so I can use the old way of mounting external
devices.

2) USB scan to start BEFORE fstab entries are processed so I avoid
messages like /dev/sda5 is not a block device --once the SCSI emulation
has picked it up it's fine but the USB scan needs to have started
first.

3) how to set the access so USERS can read the disk. I also saw
somewhere that setting UMASK might work -- but how do you do this
manually -- It won't work in fstab as the USB device hasn't actually
been detected at this point --as per 2) above.

Thisi is a problem I've had on SUSE 9.1, Fedora and Mandrake community
so it seems to do with Hotplug and USB.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

--