one more newbie question - Help

This is a discussion on one more newbie question - Help ; I have been looking at the CD's that boot Linux from the CD. I like what I see, but I'm worried that program CD's woth a Windows requirement won't install and/or run properly under Linux. My very limited understanding of ...

  1. one more newbie question

    I have been looking at the CD's that boot Linux from the CD. I like what I
    see, but I'm worried that program CD's woth a Windows requirement won't
    install and/or run properly under Linux. My very limited understanding of
    Linux suggests that one could use a program (installed in Linux) that would
    make the system "think" that it is running under Windows, and that
    Windows-based programs would install/run properly. Any such luck on my
    theory?

  2. Re: one more newbie question

    Rick Kline wrote:

    > I have been looking at the CD's that boot Linux from the CD. I like what I
    > see, but I'm worried that program CD's woth a Windows requirement won't
    > install and/or run properly under Linux. My very limited understanding of
    > Linux suggests that one could use a program (installed in Linux) that
    > would make the system "think" that it is running under Windows, and that
    > Windows-based programs would install/run properly. Any such luck on my
    > theory?

    Well, yes, you could... in theory, at least. The underlying problem is that
    Microsoft doesn't document a lot of the Windows system calls, has others
    that don't behave the way the documentation says they should, and still
    others that vary between different versions of Windows.

    There are multiple programs that try to do it, in different ways. Here's a
    few of them:

    Wine: http://www.winehq.com

    Wine attempts to emulate the Windows APIs on Unixes that are running on x86
    hardware. Crossover Office is a professionally packaged version of Wine,
    oriented towards running office applications -- in particular, the various
    components of Microsoft Office. WineX is another, oriented towards running
    games. Does not require a copy of Windows.

    Win4Lin: http://www.netraverse.com

    Runs Windows 95, 98, or Me as a set of processes under Linux. Requires a
    copy of the version of Windows you want to run. Windows installs to a set
    of directories. It doesn't do well for DirectX applications, though.

    VMware: http://www.vmware.com

    Creates a virtual PC running under Linux (or Windows, or on bare hardware,
    depending on the version you get). You can install Windows on that virtual
    PC and run it. This, of course, requires a copy of Windows. Unlike
    Win4Lin, pretty much any version of Windows up to XP will run.

    Wine is Free Software. Win4Lin and VMware are not. There are projects to
    develop equivalents to VMware as Free Software -- Bochs
    (bochs.sourceforge.net) is one such. I haven't had good luck with Bochs so
    far, but YMMV, of course.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: one more newbie question

    Prior to my upgrade from Suse 9.2 to 9.3 I was running both Wine with
    Crossover and VMWare, without a problem. Although when running windows
    programs with crossover there seemed to be a number of glitches, i.e. it
    would lock up or shut down without reason or warning. VMWare was great
    although it seemed to run slow, even though I had deadicated 512MB or
    RAM to. This did not bother me as I used these Windows programs only
    to ref my old files. One problem I had with VMWare was not being able
    to import my pst file from Office 2003 to Office XP, as VMWare would
    not let me install Office 2003, that was a bit of a cluster. Now with
    Suse 9.3 I am having a multitude of issues installing/running VMWare.
    I have not yet attempted to use Wine or Crossover yet. Wish me luck.

    --
    loki

+ Reply to Thread