Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors? - Help

This is a discussion on Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors? - Help ; Will Linux make use of the extra processing power available of graphics cards for general-purpose processing? One of the major advantages of PCI Express is that it allows high speed *full duplex* communication between the GPU and the CPU, effectively ...

  1. Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors?

    Will Linux make use of the extra processing power available of graphics
    cards for general-purpose processing? One of the major advantages of PCI
    Express is that it allows high speed *full duplex* communication between the
    GPU and the CPU, effectively allowing software to use the GPU's vast
    processing capacity for doing things like rendering high-definition video
    transitions or doing bioinformatics algorithms. What I want to know is
    whether or not Linux will take advantage of this and if so, how soon?

    What I'm imagining is a compile-time option (similar to today's CPU
    architecture options) that will allow you to compile the source code for
    your CPU *and* your GPU. To my naive mind, this sort of technology could
    give a vast performance boost to Linux.

    Here's a press release which describes the use of PCI Express for doing high
    definition video editing:

    http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4733.html

    And some more stuff here:

    http://animation.digitalmedianet.com...jsp?id=27305-2

    Any thoughts?

    Many thanks,
    Jack

  2. Re: Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors?

    Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:

    > Will Linux make use of the extra processing power available of graphics
    > cards for general-purpose processing? One of the major advantages of PCI
    > Express is that it allows high speed *full duplex* communication between
    > the GPU and the CPU, effectively allowing software to use the GPU's vast
    > processing capacity for doing things like rendering high-definition video
    > transitions or doing bioinformatics algorithms. What I want to know is
    > whether or not Linux will take advantage of this and if so, how soon?
    >
    > What I'm imagining is a compile-time option (similar to today's CPU
    > architecture options) that will allow you to compile the source code for
    > your CPU *and* your GPU. To my naive mind, this sort of technology could
    > give a vast performance boost to Linux.
    >
    > Here's a press release which describes the use of PCI Express for doing
    > high definition video editing:
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4733.html
    >
    > And some more stuff here:
    >
    > http://animation.digitalmedianet.com...jsp?id=27305-2
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Jack

    There has been some work done in using GPUs for rendering images for movies.
    Up til now this was done using C & render farms but a GPU can do rendering
    100 times faster. You need each pixel rgb to be at least 16 bits
    (preferably 32 bit floating point) ie 32*3=96 bits/pixel.

    gtoomey

  3. Re: Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors?

    Thanks for your reply, Gregory.

    You mention some work that has been done for rendering images for movies on
    GPUs. Could you point me in the direction of this work? Do either
    Cinerella or Film Gimp make use of the GPU?

    Thanks a lot,
    Jack

    "Gregory Toomey" wrote in message
    > Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
    >
    > > Will Linux make use of the extra processing power available of graphics
    > > cards for general-purpose processing? One of the major advantages of

    PCI
    > > Express is that it allows high speed *full duplex* communication between
    > > the GPU and the CPU, effectively allowing software to use the GPU's vast
    > > processing capacity for doing things like rendering high-definition

    video
    > > transitions or doing bioinformatics algorithms. What I want to know is
    > > whether or not Linux will take advantage of this and if so, how soon?
    > >
    > > What I'm imagining is a compile-time option (similar to today's CPU
    > > architecture options) that will allow you to compile the source code for
    > > your CPU *and* your GPU. To my naive mind, this sort of technology

    could
    > > give a vast performance boost to Linux.
    > >
    > > Here's a press release which describes the use of PCI Express for doing
    > > high definition video editing:
    > >
    > > http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4733.html
    > >
    > > And some more stuff here:
    > >
    > > http://animation.digitalmedianet.com...jsp?id=27305-2
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > > Jack

    > There has been some work done in using GPUs for rendering images for

    movies.
    > Up til now this was done using C & render farms but a GPU can do rendering
    > 100 times faster. You need each pixel rgb to be at least 16 bits
    > (preferably 32 bit floating point) ie 32*3=96 bits/pixel.
    >
    > gtoomey

  4. Re: Will Linux use PCI Express GPUs as co-processors?

    Ah, it looks like there's already an effort to compile for GPUs:

    http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/

    "Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)" wrote in message
    > Will Linux make use of the extra processing power available of graphics
    > cards for general-purpose processing? One of the major advantages of PCI
    > Express is that it allows high speed *full duplex* communication between

    the
    > GPU and the CPU, effectively allowing software to use the GPU's vast
    > processing capacity for doing things like rendering high-definition video
    > transitions or doing bioinformatics algorithms. What I want to know is
    > whether or not Linux will take advantage of this and if so, how soon?
    >
    > What I'm imagining is a compile-time option (similar to today's CPU
    > architecture options) that will allow you to compile the source code for
    > your CPU *and* your GPU. To my naive mind, this sort of technology could
    > give a vast performance boost to Linux.
    >
    > Here's a press release which describes the use of PCI Express for doing

    high
    > definition video editing:
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4733.html
    >
    > And some more stuff here: