Help saving a file with vim version 6 2.263 - Help

This is a discussion on Help saving a file with vim version 6 2.263 - Help ; Hi, Ok, everytime I try to save a file using different save and exit commands when using vim (which is a unix text editor) I get a lousy error message E212: Can't open file for writing Hit enter or type ...

  1. Help saving a file with vim version 6 2.263

    Hi,
    Ok, everytime I try to save a file using different save and exit
    commands when using vim (which is a unix text editor) I get a lousy error
    message E212: Can't open file for writing Hit enter or type command to
    continue. Does anyone know how to fix this.
    thanks

  2. Re: Help saving a file with vim version 6 2.263

    mike wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Ok, everytime I try to save a file using different save and exit
    > commands when using vim (which is a unix text editor) I get a lousy error
    > message E212: Can't open file for writing Hit enter or type command to
    > continue. Does anyone know how to fix this.
    > thanks

    You seem to be trying to write to a file which you do not have write
    access to.

    Check that you should be writing to this file.

    Check out the permissions set on the file with
    $ ls -l

    Note the user and group of the file

    Try to edit a file in your home directory
    $ cd
    $ ls -l job
    --- should not return anything
    $ vim job