I have SuSE 9.1 installed dual-boot with WinXP on one machine. Each OS
is on its own HD and neither is configured to access the other's disk.

I've been running Windows only for some months (I have 3 other machines
running Linux here). When I came to boot up into Linux, it failed.
During the boot-up messages I see:

Starting RPC portmap daemonportmap: Fork: Success ......... failed

Then, a couple items later, the whole thing comes to a halt while trying
to import NFS shares (it appears to contact the appropriate server for
the first share because I get a message about TCP not being available,
but that's always been the case).

Booting in failsafe mode hits the same problem.

It crashes so hard at this point that the only option is a hard reset.

Any ideas?

@+
srm