Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible - Help

This is a discussion on Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible - Help ; Hello I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much as possible by reading books. I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but common things in ...

  1. Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    Hello

    I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    as possible by reading books.

    I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but
    common things in all of them that probably were carried over from unix. By
    this I mean not mainly unix but materials that will make be capable of
    dealing with almost any distro.

    I would like the books to include one of the following:

    1- Linux & Unix Commands(Specially those that are very useful).
    2- Linux Networking & Firewall(Iptables).
    3- Backing up.
    4- Setup Important applications(Samba,Apache,Postfix or any MTA,etc).
    5- Scripting(Awk, Sed, Perl).
    6- Kernel Compiling & Hacking.
    7- Linux Security.
    8- NFS
    9- NIS
    10-SNMP & Network Centralized Managment.
    11- Anything I missed that helps for the Certification and would prepare
    m to help other persons in these groups.

    I have Running Linux 3rd edition, Linux in a nutshell. I would like to
    hear about the best of the best.

    Thanks for your time,

    Iván C. Filpo

  2. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughlyas possible

    Iván Filpo wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    > as possible by reading books.
    >
    > I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but
    > common things in all of them that probably were carried over from unix. By
    > this I mean not mainly unix but materials that will make be capable of
    > dealing with almost any distro.
    >
    > I would like the books to include one of the following:
    >
    > 1- Linux & Unix Commands(Specially those that are very useful).
    > 2- Linux Networking & Firewall(Iptables).
    > 3- Backing up.
    > 4- Setup Important applications(Samba,Apache,Postfix or any MTA,etc).
    > 5- Scripting(Awk, Sed, Perl).
    > 6- Kernel Compiling & Hacking.
    > 7- Linux Security.
    > 8- NFS
    > 9- NIS
    > 10-SNMP & Network Centralized Managment.
    > 11- Anything I missed that helps for the Certification and would prepare
    > m to help other persons in these groups.
    >
    > I have Running Linux 3rd edition, Linux in a nutshell. I would like to
    > hear about the best of the best.

    Do a google search for "rute" (pronounced root)

  3. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    I'm no linux expert, but I've been in heavy training for a few months and
    found the "Linux Administration Handbook":

    to be very helpful.

    For more, just checkout amazon. There's plenty of people there ready to tell
    you what to read.

    Brian.

    "Iván Filpo" wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    > as possible by reading books.
    >
    > I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but
    > common things in all of them that probably were carried over from unix. By
    > this I mean not mainly unix but materials that will make be capable of
    > dealing with almost any distro.
    >
    > I would like the books to include one of the following:
    >
    > 1- Linux & Unix Commands(Specially those that are very useful).
    > 2- Linux Networking & Firewall(Iptables).
    > 3- Backing up.
    > 4- Setup Important applications(Samba,Apache,Postfix or any MTA,etc).
    > 5- Scripting(Awk, Sed, Perl).
    > 6- Kernel Compiling & Hacking.
    > 7- Linux Security.
    > 8- NFS
    > 9- NIS
    > 10-SNMP & Network Centralized Managment.
    > 11- Anything I missed that helps for the Certification and would prepare
    > m to help other persons in these groups.
    >
    > I have Running Linux 3rd edition, Linux in a nutshell. I would like to
    > hear about the best of the best.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Iván C. Filpo

  4. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:25:19 -0500, Iván Filpo wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    > as possible by reading books.

    Download this, and study the first 9 chapters or so:

    http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.tar.bz2

    See the HOWTOS at http://www.tldp.org

    (You can download *all* of them in a tarball too. Very handy.)

    "Learning the bash Shell" 2nd Edition, OREILLY

    You already have "Running Linux", but should probably upgrade
    to the 4th edition.

    HTH,

    AC

  5. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:05:38 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:

    >Download this, and study the first 9 chapters or so:
    >
    >http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.tar.bz2

    Mozilla will expand it on the fly if you don't want it on your hard
    drive.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  6. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    px9900i@yahoo.com (TN) wrote in message news:<52c69394.0410160107.47e1ac57@posting.google.com>...
    > Iván Filpo wrote in message news:...
    > > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    > > as possible by reading books.

    > I can't imagine learning much about all those things from books or any
    > kind of "certification" program,

    I agree with Tim's comment, for slightly different reasons. "Linux" is
    a big subject, and however much you learn, you will remember only what
    you use. What do you want to do? Set up a NAT firewall? Rip/burn DVDs?
    Set up a Samba server? Advise a Windows user which apps to use as
    replacements for Office? I doubt that there is anyone on earth who
    knows everything about all the stuff that comes with a typical Linux
    distro.
    The books you have already got and the URLs in this thread are more
    than enough to get you started. Beyond that, search the web for your
    specific needs.

  7. Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 02:07:41 -0700, TN wrote:

    > Iván Filpo wrote in message news:...
    >> I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    >> as possible by reading books.

    All good suggestions, another you may find usefull is LASG by
    Kurt Seifried (http://www.seifried.org/lasg/)

    No doubt experience is the best teacher, one project which helped me in my
    initial learning was setting up a linux gateway/router, also there are
    some excellent howto's you should read like:
    Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals
    Net-HOWTO
    Adv-Routing-HOWTO

    Most distro's have a howto collection and they could very well be sitting
    on your hard drive now ;-)
    /usr/doc/howto/text on mine anyway.

    --
    http://www.lucidit.co.nz/