Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time - Help

This is a discussion on Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time - Help ; I have gnome 2.0 and I am using a NTP(atomic time) server to always synchronize the window manager. How can accomplish this for all the system time used by all the programs in my computer so they can all go ...

  1. Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time

    I have gnome 2.0 and I am using a NTP(atomic time) server to always
    synchronize the window manager. How can accomplish this for all the system
    time used by all the programs in my computer so they can all go by the
    same time.

    Thanks,

    Iván C.

  2. Re: Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:28:34 -0500, Ivan Filpo staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I have gnome 2.0 and I am using a NTP(atomic time) server to always
    > synchronize the window manager.

    Huh? I Think You Meant "I use ntpd to set the system clock." ntpd
    knows nothing about GNOME or window managers.

    > How can accomplish this for all the system time used by all the
    > programs in my computer so they can all go by the same time.

    In written English, put a "?" at the end of sentences that ask a
    question. All Unix programs that deal with time are supposed to call
    time(NULL) or gettimeofday() to find out the current system time. The
    kernel maintains the current system time and there is only one current
    system time. There is a syscall that sets the system time
    (settimeofday?); date -s and ntpd use this syscall.

    If you're having problems where several programs are reporting different
    times, check the system timezone setting and make sure it's correct (and
    that all your programs are honoring it.) Also include details (name and
    version# of programs, exact symptoms seen, etcetera) like
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html asks you to. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time

    Quoth Ivan Filpo :
    > I have gnome 2.0 and I am using a NTP(atomic time) server to always
    > synchronize the window manager. How can accomplish this for all the system
    > time used by all the programs in my computer so they can all go by the
    > same time.

    What on earth are you talking about?

    a) NTP is the Network Time Protocol. It hasn't got anything to do
    with "atomic time."

    b) All NTP does is to keep your computer's clock synchronized with
    whatever time servers it is pointing to.

    c) This has nothing to with window managers.

    If you sync the computer's clock with someone else's, then this
    affects the computer's clock, which is read by any applications on
    your system that read the time.
    --
    wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/ntp.html

  4. Re: Setting up NTP for the system and or hardware time

    On 10/15/04 05:17, Christopher Browne wrote:
    > Quoth Ivan Filpo :
    >
    >>I have gnome 2.0 and I am using a NTP(atomic time) server to always
    >>synchronize the window manager. How can accomplish this for all the system
    >>time used by all the programs in my computer so they can all go by the
    >>same time.

    > What on earth are you talking about?
    >
    > a) NTP is the Network Time Protocol. It hasn't got anything to do
    > with "atomic time."
    >
    > b) All NTP does is to keep your computer's clock synchronized with
    > whatever time servers it is pointing to.

    ntpd (NTP daemon, if configured and running), not NTP

    > c) This has nothing to with window managers.
    >
    > If you sync the computer's clock with someone else's, then this
    > affects the computer's clock, which is read by any applications on
    > your system that read the time.

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

+ Reply to Thread