Advise for new OS, coming from RH8 - Help

This is a discussion on Advise for new OS, coming from RH8 - Help ; Hi group, I have been using RH8 for a few years now, but because all support stopped ages ago I am planning to switch to a newer OS. Now don't shoot me for this question, I know how lazy/stupid it ...

  1. Advise for new OS, coming from RH8

    Hi group,

    I have been using RH8 for a few years now, but because all support stopped
    ages ago I am planning to switch to a newer OS.

    Now don't shoot me for this question, I know how lazy/stupid it sounds, but
    I am a noob and there is too much info out there for me to form a decent
    overview. :-(
    Question: What would be a good choice for me to replace RH8 with?
    (I do not want to stay with RH, like Fedora.)

    Debian? Suse? gen2?

    The thing that irritated me the most on RH8 was the dependancy-missery while
    I tried to update/install packages using rpm.

    I heard good things about debian and it's easy-to-maintain-packages options.
    I also would appreciate a roughly similar directory structure.

    I am using my comp mostly for developing Java/PHP/Postgresql stuff, using
    Eclipse, Netbeans, etc.
    So it is not a server, just my desktopmachine.

    Did you maybe switch from RH8 before?
    What do you advise me? (Besides switching to M$ :P )

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  2. Re: Advise for new OS, coming from RH8

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:13:04 +0200, Erwin Moller wrote:

    > Did you maybe switch from RH8 before?
    > What do you advise me? (Besides switching to M$ :P )

    I switched from rh9 to fedora to Gentoo. Never been happier.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

  3. Re: Advise for new OS, coming from RH8

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:13:04 +0200, Erwin Moller wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > I have been using RH8 for a few years now, but because all support
    > stopped ages ago I am planning to switch to a newer OS.
    >
    > Now don't shoot me for this question, I know how lazy/stupid it sounds,
    > but I am a noob and there is too much info out there for me to form a
    > decent overview. :-(
    > Question: What would be a good choice for me to replace RH8 with? (I do
    > not want to stay with RH, like Fedora.)
    >
    > Debian? Suse? gen2?

    Any of the above, visit http://distrowatch.com/ and see which fits your
    needs best. Please plan the move, make backups (or have available) system
    configuration settings (network configuration for example), data files,
    documents, email and anything that may be of value and importance to you.
    Test and make sure you have everything you might possibly want or need.

    > The thing that irritated me the most on RH8 was the dependancy-missery
    > while I tried to update/install packages using rpm.

    Ever hear of apt/synaptic and yum/yumi both sets / either set of packages
    makes the dependency hell almost nonexistent. All four packages are
    available for Fedora Core Linux OS series. The apt/synaptic (not sure
    about yum/yumi package set) RPM packages are still available for RHL8.0,
    this could have and still can make package management a lot easier for
    you.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  4. Re: Advise for new OS, coming from RH8

    Lenard wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:13:04 +0200, Erwin Moller wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> I have been using RH8 for a few years now, but because all support
    >> stopped ages ago I am planning to switch to a newer OS.
    >>
    >> Now don't shoot me for this question, I know how lazy/stupid it sounds,
    >> but I am a noob and there is too much info out there for me to form a
    >> decent overview. :-(
    >> Question: What would be a good choice for me to replace RH8 with? (I do
    >> not want to stay with RH, like Fedora.)
    >>
    >> Debian? Suse? gen2?

    > Any of the above, visit http://distrowatch.com/ and see which fits your
    > needs best. Please plan the move, make backups (or have available) system
    > configuration settings (network configuration for example), data files,
    > documents, email and anything that may be of value and importance to you.
    > Test and make sure you have everything you might possibly want or need.
    >
    >> The thing that irritated me the most on RH8 was the dependancy-missery
    >> while I tried to update/install packages using rpm.

    > Ever hear of apt/synaptic and yum/yumi both sets / either set of packages
    > makes the dependency hell almost nonexistent. All four packages are
    > available for Fedora Core Linux OS series. The apt/synaptic (not sure
    > about yum/yumi package set) RPM packages are still available for RHL8.0,
    > this could have and still can make package management a lot easier for
    > you.

    Thanks for your kind advise Lenard.
    http://distrowatch.com/ gives a great overview indeed!

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  5. Re: Advise for new OS, coming from RH8

    In article <416bd860$0$14941$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Erwin Moller wrote:

    >Now don't shoot me for this question, I know how lazy/stupid it sounds, but
    >I am a noob and there is too much info out there for me to form a decent
    >overview. :-(

    and so you want more information ;-)

    >Question: What would be a good choice for me to replace RH8 with?
    >(I do not want to stay with RH, like Fedora.)

    The one that is best for you is the one you are used to. Baring that, you
    want one that is going to be similar.

    >Debian? Suse? gen2?

    SuSE was far to different for me. Their "tools" are very different, and
    they put files in funny locations. Debian, or Gentoo? May be more
    command line oriented than you want. You didn't mention Mandrake, which
    started life as a GPL clone of Red Hat, but we stopped looking at it about
    three years ago, as it was aiming at the windoze user and wasn't offering
    that much of an improvement over Caldera, nevermind RH.

    >The thing that irritated me the most on RH8 was the dependancy-missery while
    >I tried to update/install packages using rpm.

    To some extent, this will always happen. The package manager used in
    Debian (and clones) and Gentoo is a little more friendly, but you still
    have to install the dependencies in some way. The better package managers
    may try to install the needed dependencies. This may or may not be a good
    thing. This also depends to some extent on the skill of the package
    developer. Packages developed by the distributor tend not to be a problem,
    while third party packages may be flawless or walking disasters.

    >I heard good things about debian and it's easy-to-maintain-packages options.

    some of which are now part of other distributions including Fedora

    >I also would appreciate a roughly similar directory structure.

    "roughly similar" should be a given.

    >Did you maybe switch from RH8 before?

    No actually - we never made it up to 8.0. We're generally running a mix
    of Debian and Slackware here.

    >What do you advise me? (Besides switching to M$ :P )

    The old story - try it yourself. There are over 100 different distributions
    available. Some are clones, or reasonably close copies of others, while
    some others are just strange. You are posting from the Netherlands, so
    Conectiva (a very good Red Hat clone from Brazil) is probably not something
    you'd be interested in. OK - you're down to 99 or so. Black Cat? maybe
    you're down to 98. Try hitting a sunsite mirror (Leiden
    ftp.LeidenUniv.nl/pub/linux/sunsite/ or NLUUG ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/
    look to be local to you) and look in the ./distributions/ directory for
    the HTML index.html file. You may also want to look at the NLUUG. What
    about the .nl Linux news groups? My news server shows six groups in the
    nl.comp.linux.* and seven more in nl.comp.os.linux.*

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread