tape drive: Error with sense data - Help

This is a discussion on tape drive: Error with sense data - Help ; I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to it. It seems okay from the os: # mt status SCSI 2 tape drive: File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0. Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code ...

  1. tape drive: Error with sense data

    I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
    it. It seems okay from the os:

    # mt status
    SCSI 2 tape drive:
    File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
    Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
    Soft error count since last status=0
    General status bits on (50000):
    DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

    However, when I dump the file system with
    # dump -0u -f /dev/st0 /
    I receive error:
    /dev/st0: Input/output error

    When I check with the message log,, I find the following error:

    kernel: st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
    kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Medium Error
    kernel: st0: Error 10000 (sugg. bt 0x0, driver bt 0x0, host bt 0x1).
    kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x14, Current st0: sense
    key Medium Error
    kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Aborted Command
    kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Not Ready
    kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

    I tried the followings but still getting the same error:
    1) rebooting with an upper version OS (2.6.5-1.358smp and I'm running
    2.6.8);
    2) replace with another DDS4 drive;
    3) remove the /dev/st0 and mknod a new device;

    # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: ARCHIVE Model: Python 06408-XXX Rev: 8130
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: DELL Model: PERCRAID RAID5 Rev: V1.0

    # modprobe -l | grep aic
    /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx_old.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.ko

    I'm quite sure that the tape drive is functioning. What can I try to
    trouble shoot the problem? Any ideas? Many thanks.

    Regards,
    Murphy

  2. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:36:38 +0000, Jules wrote:
    > & termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
    > drives against a 2.6 kernel.

    duh - I meant 2.4.26, getting my versions mixed up today :-) I'm not sure
    what 2.4.x kernel I had running when this worked, unfortunately.

    cheers,

    Jules

  3. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    > # mt status
    > SCSI 2 tape drive:
    > File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
    > Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
    > Soft error count since last status=0
    > General status bits on (50000):
    > DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

    Probably a stupid question, but is there a tape in the drive?

    Your output above indicates not. "DR_OPEN" = door open, i.e. no media found.

    You should see something like:

    BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

    which would indicate:

    BOT = beginning of tape
    ONLINE = the drive is online
    IM_REP_EN = immediate report mode

  4. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:36:38 +0000, Jules wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:42:14 +0800, Mr. Murphy Wong wrote:
    >

    >> I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
    >> it. It seems okay from the os:

    > hmm, interesting. I can't offer any help (other than to say check cabling
    > & termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
    > drives against a 2.6 kernel. (do check that the door open message goes
    > away when you put a tape in though! :-)
    >
    > In my case that's with an Adaptec 2940UW board. Termination and cabling's
    > OK (also tested with a narrow hard drive on the same bus just to see if I
    > could throw up any indication of a problem)
    >
    > Both tape drives *were* working; one I used recently with a 2.4 kernel.
    > Maybe there's a problem with SCSI tape support in 2.6?
    >
    > What happens if you try and write to a tape? I see tar list a few
    > files, then it just sits there for a while before returning an I/O error;
    > I assume it's just filling up an internal buffer and not actually writing
    > to the tape at all.
    >
    > Of course DAT drives do seem *very* prone to failure. I've run a cleaning
    > tape through both of mine just in case, but no luck.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

    Could it be something simple like dirty tape r/w heads? I had this
    problem on a Travan drive just recently but on Windows 2000. The program
    would not write to the tape until I cleaned the heads. Cleaning tapes are
    not that cheap for small budget operations.

    How long have you had the drive? I don't know that much about the type of
    drive you have but could the tape have stretched through use and caused
    the media to be unwritable. I know this happened a lot on 8mm drives.

    HTH

    Ciao

  5. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:49:01 +0000, JunkYard2 wrote:

    > Could it be something simple like dirty tape r/w heads? I had this
    > problem on a Travan drive just recently but on Windows 2000. The program
    > would not write to the tape until I cleaned the heads. Cleaning tapes are
    > not that cheap for small budget operations.

    In my case it's possible I suppose - but I've run a cleaning tape through
    each drive about 5 times without any improvement. I've actually got a
    stockpile of about fifteen cleaning tapes, knowing that they can be
    expensive to get hold of when you really need them :-)

    > How long have you had the drive? I don't know that much about the type
    > of drive you have but could the tape have stretched through use and
    > caused the media to be unwritable. I know this happened a lot on 8mm
    > drives.

    Hmm... is 4mm DAT prone to stretching? I did only try a couple of old
    tapes; I'll give it another go with a few different ones just to be sure.

    I do suspect something on the drive or tape side of things - given the
    tests I did with a narrow hard disk on the same bus, I'm pretty sure the
    SCSI bus and at least the low-level SCSI drivers are OK. I'm really
    starting to hate DAT though if that's another couple of drives that have
    failed!

    cheers

    Jules

  6. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    Dave wrote:
    >># mt status
    >>SCSI 2 tape drive:
    >>File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
    >>Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
    >>Soft error count since last status=0
    >>General status bits on (50000):
    >> DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN
    >>

    > Probably a stupid question, but is there a tape in the drive?
    >
    > Your output above indicates not. "DR_OPEN" = door open, i.e. no media found.

    Ya. I know. Because I mt when I removed the tape. If I mt after the
    dumr, then the message will become "/dev/st0: Input/output error".
    Also, I tried cleaning but it doesn't help.

    I thinking of installing Fedora to another SCSI controller to identify
    the problem....

    My guess is, there are 4 possible causes:
    1) tap drive (should not be the case);
    2) SCSI error (don't know yet but the green light is on at the SCSI
    terminator);
    3) driver error (but the mt command still works, seem like the blocking
    factor, density problem of the tape but I tried rebuilding the /dev/st0
    without any improvement);
    4) Fedora Core2 kernel error.

    Any other suggetions? I see quite a lot of people having the same
    problem in the news group...

    > You should see something like:
    >
    > BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
    >
    > which would indicate:
    >
    > BOT = beginning of tape
    > ONLINE = the drive is online
    > IM_REP_EN = immediate report mode

  7. Re: tape drive: Error with sense data

    Mr. Murphy Wong wrote (in part):

    > My guess is, there are 4 possible causes:
    > 1) tap drive (should not be the case);
    > 2) SCSI error (don't know yet but the green light is on at the SCSI
    > terminator);
    > 3) driver error (but the mt command still works, seem like the blocking
    > factor, density problem of the tape but I tried rebuilding the /dev/st0
    > without any improvement);
    > 4) Fedora Core2 kernel error.
    >
    > Any other suggetions? I see quite a lot of people having the same
    > problem in the news group...

    I have two SCSI tape trives, one on each of two computers. One is about
    three years old and gets problems only when a tape gets about three years
    old (running two passes or so per week), or when I put an incompatible
    tape in the drive (A VXA-2 tape in a VXA-1 drive: the tapes are the same,
    but a VXA-1 drive cannot read a tape formatted for VXA-2, and knows it,
    and turns on error lights).

    The other drive started its useful life in about May 2004 and has never
    had a problem as you describe.

    If you get the Door Open problem solved (possibly a defective microswitch,
    or the link between the door and the microswitch), it may be you are
    putting a bad tape in. Try putting a factory fresh tape in.

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 21:30:00 up 18 days, 8:35, 4 users, load average: 4.34, 4.34, 4.27

+ Reply to Thread