On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:42:14 +0800, Mr. Murphy Wong wrote:

> I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
> it. It seems okay from the os:

hmm, interesting. I can't offer any help (other than to say check cabling
& termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
drives against a 2.6 kernel. (do check that the door open message goes
away when you put a tape in though! :-)

In my case that's with an Adaptec 2940UW board. Termination and cabling's
OK (also tested with a narrow hard drive on the same bus just to see if I
could throw up any indication of a problem)

Both tape drives *were* working; one I used recently with a 2.4 kernel.
Maybe there's a problem with SCSI tape support in 2.6?

What happens if you try and write to a tape? I see tar list a few
files, then it just sits there for a while before returning an I/O error;
I assume it's just filling up an internal buffer and not actually writing
to the tape at all.

Of course DAT drives do seem *very* prone to failure. I've run a cleaning
tape through both of mine just in case, but no luck.

cheers

Jules