linux on a mac duo 2300c? - Help

This is a discussion on linux on a mac duo 2300c? - Help ; (first off, I realize that multi crossposting is frowned on, but I hope in this case it's justified) I have a macintosh powerbook duo 2300c- is there a version of linux that runs properly on this thing? ie- can use ...

  1. linux on a mac duo 2300c?

    (first off, I realize that multi crossposting is frowned on, but I hope
    in this case it's justified)

    I have a macintosh powerbook duo 2300c- is there a version of linux that
    runs properly on this thing? ie- can use internal keyboard and lcd,
    serial port and external floppy work, can get drivers for a newertech
    ethernet microdock, etc.

    if yes, where do I find info about it? I've tried various sites like
    linuxppc and mac linux, but they all seem to be down, the links to the
    pages I want end up 404ing, or the pages haven't been updated in
    years... anyone have any current info? I've heard reports of people
    stuffing YDL on one of these, but I can't seem to find much info on that
    either.

    for those of you not familiar with the machine, it's an oldworld class-
    PPC/NuBus, no openfirmware that I'm aware of.

    anyway, any help would be appreciated! TIA

    ____
    - Quartz -
    it's been a strange day.
    not even a "2+2=5" kind of day, more like "2+2=... fish".

  2. Re: linux on a mac duo 2300c?

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:40:53 +0000, Quartz wrote:

    > (first off, I realize that multi crossposting is frowned on, but I hope
    > in this case it's justified)
    >

    > I have a macintosh powerbook duo 2300c- is there a version of linux that
    > runs properly on this thing? ie- can use internal keyboard and lcd,
    > serial port and external floppy work, can get drivers for a newertech
    > ethernet microdock, etc.
    >

    > if yes, where do I find info about it? I've tried various sites like
    > linuxppc and mac linux, but they all seem to be down, the links to the
    > pages I want end up 404ing, or the pages haven't been updated in
    > years... anyone have any current info? I've heard reports of people
    > stuffing YDL on one of these, but I can't seem to find much info on that
    > either.
    >
    > for those of you not familiar with the machine, it's an oldworld class-
    > PPC/NuBus, no openfirmware that I'm aware of.
    >

    > anyway, any help would be appreciated! TIA
    >
    > ____
    > - Quartz -
    > it's been a strange day.
    > not even a "2+2=5" kind of day, more like "2+2=... fish".

    have you tried yellow dog?

  3. Re: linux on a mac duo 2300c?

    Quartz wrote:
    > (first off, I realize that multi crossposting is frowned on, but I hope
    > in this case it's justified)

    To help you cut down on the cross-posting: As you write below this
    machine has a PPC CPU, so you can exclude comp.os.linux.m68k.

    > I have a macintosh powerbook duo 2300c- is there a version of linux that
    > runs properly on this thing? ie- can use internal keyboard and lcd,
    > serial port and external floppy work, can get drivers for a newertech
    > ethernet microdock, etc.
    >
    > if yes, where do I find info about it? I've tried various sites like
    > linuxppc and mac linux, but they all seem to be down, the links to the
    > pages I want end up 404ing, or the pages haven't been updated in
    > years... anyone have any current info? I've heard reports of people
    > stuffing YDL on one of these, but I can't seem to find much info on that
    > either.
    >
    > for those of you not familiar with the machine, it's an oldworld class-
    > PPC/NuBus, no openfirmware that I'm aware of.

    Having said the above, I think that these oldworld but with PPC machines, are
    supported by at least Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org), although kinda
    inbetween real oldworld (m68k/Nubus) and real newworld (PPC/PCI). This
    is only from what I as Linux Mac68k owner ('real' oldworld) see on the
    mailinglists and newsgroups.

    I tried checking www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/ for you, and got pointers
    to http://penguinppc.org/about/intro.php#hardware, which seems to be for
    PPC/PCI only, but points to http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ for these
    "inbetween" systems (you get there via http://penguinppc.org/mac/). No
    404s inbetween, and nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net seems to contain al the info
    needed.

    Reading down that page I see that the 2300 is supported, and I see that
    they provide 2.4.27 kernels for Debian Woody, so you can run this kernel
    and the Debian/PPC port.

    HTH, Erik

    P.S. comp.os.linux.m68k cut from follow-up.

  4. Re: linux on a mac duo 2300c?

    > To help you cut down on the cross-posting: As you write below this
    > machine has a PPC CPU, so you can exclude comp.os.linux.m68k.

    I figured that being nubus the 68k people would have some info, but ok

    > Reading down that page I see that the 2300 is supported,

    they say 'limited support'. the last time I looked into this, 'limited
    support' turned out to mean the only way to use the machine was to log
    in through the serial port... and that kinda defeats the purpose of
    having a laptop

    according to the nubus-pmac page, the floppy and sound still aren't
    supported... neither of those are a huge deal to me, but I want to find
    info confirming that the onboard video and adb *are*.

    ____
    - Quartz -
    it's been a strange day.
    not even a "2+2=5" kind of day, more like "2+2=... fish".

+ Reply to Thread