Panel suggestions wanted - Help

This is a discussion on Panel suggestions wanted - Help ; At LosCon this year, http://www.loscon.org/loscon/31/ , I'm going to be on a panel, "Linux for Auntie Em." We want to discuss not just how to experiment with knoppix, but the easiest distros for a rank beginner. What I'm looking for ...

  1. Panel suggestions wanted

    At LosCon this year, http://www.loscon.org/loscon/31/, I'm going to be
    on a panel, "Linux for Auntie Em." We want to discuss not just how to
    experiment with knoppix, but the easiest distros for a rank beginner.
    What I'm looking for is not the best distro (if there is one) but the
    one/s with the least intimidating installation. I'm also looking for
    ways to break down such things as partitioning schemes, knowing what
    to install and other things you need when you just want to try linux
    and don't have anybody to hold your hand. Yes, I know there are
    dummies books, and we'll mention them, but I'd like whatever
    suggestions you folks out there have.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    Y'know, in my experience with dealing with people like Auntie Em,
    first you need to know what the hell she wants her box to do,
    and you set it up for her. You have to get her to itemize the
    things she expects, like fax, email, word processor, whatever,
    and then make sure they all work before you leave.

    You cannot just hand her a Mandrake set ( or an XP cd ) and expect
    her to be able to navigate the install.

    Auntie Em needs a helpful nephew to make her computer do what she wants.

  3. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 03:16:23 GMT, "Miven Dooligan"
    wrote:

    >Y'know, in my experience with dealing with people like Auntie Em,
    >first you need to know what the hell she wants her box to do,
    >and you set it up for her.

    And how does this differ from a silicon fruit, or some gatesware?

    >You cannot just hand her a Mandrake set ( or an XP cd ) and expect
    >her to be able to navigate the install.

    Even if that's exactly what she wants?

    >Auntie Em needs a helpful nephew to make her computer do what she wants.

    You live in Encino, Auntie Em lives, of course, in Kanasas. She's
    experimented with Knoppix and wants to set up a real Linux box. She
    wants you to suggest a distro, tell her what packages she needs and
    then let her have fun experimenting. She needs hand-holding, but she
    wants to do what she can. What do you do now?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    turpentine sauce.

  4. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:24:35 GMT, Joe Zeff
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 03:16:23 GMT, "Miven Dooligan"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Y'know, in my experience with dealing with people like Auntie Em,
    >> first you need to know what the hell she wants her box to do,
    >> and you set it up for her.

    > And how does this differ from a silicon fruit, or some gatesware?

    It doesn't.

    >> You cannot just hand her a Mandrake set ( or an XP cd ) and expect
    >> her to be able to navigate the install.
    >>

    > Even if that's exactly what she wants?
    >
    >> Auntie Em needs a helpful nephew to make her computer do what she wants.

    > You live in Encino, Auntie Em lives, of course, in Kanasas. She's
    > experimented with Knoppix and wants to set up a real Linux box. She
    > wants you to suggest a distro, tell her what packages she needs and
    > then let her have fun experimenting. She needs hand-holding, but she
    > wants to do what she can. What do you do now?

    Yes indeed. You are correct. Many people think they can make their prized
    and expensive new ****box do what they want like magic.

    This is a fiction perpetratated by manufacturarers and licensers.
    Beyond that I can not and will not go.

    Isn't that why we're here hacking this out?

    Peace and Cheer

  5. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:56:32 GMT, "Miven Dooligan"
    wrote:

    >Yes indeed. You are correct. Many people think they can make their prized
    >and expensive new ****box do what they want like magic.
    >
    >This is a fiction perpetratated by manufacturarers and licensers.
    >Beyond that I can not and will not go.

    And with that attitude, linux will never be ready for Auntie Em.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  6. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    Joe Zeff wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:56:32 GMT, "Miven Dooligan"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes indeed. You are correct. Many people think they can make their prized
    >>and expensive new ****box do what they want like magic.
    >>
    >>This is a fiction perpetratated by manufacturarers and licensers.
    >>Beyond that I can not and will not go.

    > And with that attitude, linux will never be ready for Auntie Em.

    Not to feed the trolls here, but why are we all so bent on making Linux
    "ready" for Grandma/Grandpa/Auntie/Mother-in-law/whoever? It is possible
    that *gasp* Linux may _not_ be right for them after all? Linux is a
    hobbyists OS - it takes some tinkering, learning, and getting used to.
    What's wrong with that?

  7. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:32:52 -0500, Patrick McDonnell
    wrote:

    >Linux is a
    >hobbyists OS - it takes some tinkering, learning, and getting used to.
    >What's wrong with that?

    Nothing, as long as that's all you want. However, if you can make
    linux ready for Auntie Em, it will be more than ready for business and
    be a real competitor to gatesware. Then you'll get lots more software
    written for it, and those of us that like it as a hobby will have more
    to play with. Win-win.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    turpentine sauce.

  8. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    Joe Zeff wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:32:52 -0500, Patrick McDonnell
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Linux is a
    >>hobbyists OS - it takes some tinkering, learning, and getting used to.
    >>What's wrong with that?

    > Nothing, as long as that's all you want. However, if you can make
    > linux ready for Auntie Em, it will be more than ready for business and
    > be a real competitor to gatesware. Then you'll get lots more software
    > written for it, and those of us that like it as a hobby will have more
    > to play with. Win-win.

    Just trying to play the devil's advocate here:

    What if we try to make Auntie Em ready for Linux? Perhaps a better plan
    would be to educate Joe User to know what is happening when he installs a
    Linux system - simple stuff, like what the Network Card is, what an IP
    address is, what a "driver" is, what a "package" is, etc. Nothing
    in-depth. Mandrake has a great installer, with sensible defaults, and an
    easy-to-follow process. It would be better in the long run if the user had
    a general idea of what was going on in his computer, so if something
    breaks, he can have a general idea of what the problem may be, and may even
    be able to fix it on his own.

  9. Re: Panel suggestions wanted

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:26:16 -0500, Patrick McDonnell
    wrote:

    >What if we try to make Auntie Em ready for Linux?

    If you can manage it, fine. I've known "Auntie Em's" that could
    easily pick that up once you got them interested, and others that
    either couldn't or didn't want to. I'd love to take the panel in that
    direction, but alas, it's been dropped due to space limitations.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns