How to dual boot - Help

This is a discussion on How to dual boot - Help ; Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?...

  1. How to dual boot

    Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?

  2. Re: How to dual boot

    google, http://www.tldp.org/ and RTFM for starters.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  3. Re: How to dual boot

    Ummm yeah. Can't get the FM to RTFM on the PC without installing which I
    don't want to do until I understand how to not kill my current OS.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.10.02.17.52.17.583388@127.0.0.1...
    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:32 -0400, R.Spinks wrote:
    >
    > > Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?

    > google, http://www.tldp.org/ and RTFM for starters.
    >
    > --
    > Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    > This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  4. Re: How to dual boot

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:19:38 -0400, R.Spinks wrote:

    > Ummm yeah. Can't get the FM to RTFM on the PC without installing which I
    > don't want to do until I understand how to not kill my current OS.

    The manuals for both GRUB and LILO (these are Linux boot loaders) can be
    found and read by a simple google search;

    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html

    The manuals for installing Linux (any distro) can be found on the web site
    for the distro, for example;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/0...e_docinst.html
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3

    The rest are for you to discover, remember google is your friend.

    http://www.google.com/linux

    Search terms used;
    GRUB, LILO, redhat manuals, SuSE manuals and Mandrake manuals

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  5. Re: How to dual boot

    Thanks, I'll check em out.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.10.03.04.17.43.271588@127.0.0.1...
    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:19:38 -0400, R.Spinks wrote:
    >
    > > Ummm yeah. Can't get the FM to RTFM on the PC without installing which I
    > > don't want to do until I understand how to not kill my current OS.

    > The manuals for both GRUB and LILO (these are Linux boot loaders) can be
    > found and read by a simple google search;
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html
    >
    > The manuals for installing Linux (any distro) can be found on the web site
    > for the distro, for example;
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
    > http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/0...e_docinst.html
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3
    >
    > The rest are for you to discover, remember google is your friend.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/linux
    >
    > Search terms used;
    > GRUB, LILO, redhat manuals, SuSE manuals and Mandrake manuals
    >

    > --
    > Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    > This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  6. Re: How to dual boot

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:32 -0400, R.Spinks wrote:

    > Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?

    Most Linux installers will install Grub or Lilo and automatically detect
    other OS's and set up the multi boot system for you.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

  7. Re: How to dual boot

    R.Spinks wrote:

    > Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?

    Have you decided on which linux distribution that you intend to install?
    Do you already have space set aside in your machine, such as a separate
    hard drive or a separate partition in your hard drive that has been
    cleared for allocation for linux or do you intend to shrink your
    existing ntfs partition to make room for linux.

    If you have not yet chosen a distribution, I recommend Mandrake version
    10.0 which is its current official release. It is a comfortable
    migration from linux and yet is a full linux distribution with a wealth
    of applications and utilities.

    The Mandrake installer, as in most modern linix distributions, will
    detect your partitioning and offer you choices accordingly and will,
    depending on your choice, automatically shrink your ntfs or fat32
    partition to make room for linux or install linux in empty space or
    repartition a partition pointed out to it by you.

    Mandrake will also detect the presence of a Windows primary partition
    and will automatically install a dual boot system with its primary boot
    loader in the Master Boot Loader to act as a boot manager. The Windows
    MBR will be saved to a standard file name and location so that it can
    be re-installed if you decide to remove linux and go back to a
    windows-only system.

    More particular advice can be offered by people in groups such as this
    once we know what distribution you want to install and where in your
    drive(s) you want to install it.

    Welcome to linux.

    Clive

  8. Re: How to dual boot

    Ah if only... I dl the mandrake but my comp can't handle it. I'm putting
    Linux on an old box w/ 32K memory. I put Slackware on it and the install of
    Slackware had me 'd' the original partion so.. my windows is gone... I
    think.

    "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    > R.Spinks wrote:
    >
    > > Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system?

    > Have you decided on which linux distribution that you intend to install?
    > Do you already have space set aside in your machine, such as a separate
    > hard drive or a separate partition in your hard drive that has been
    > cleared for allocation for linux or do you intend to shrink your
    > existing ntfs partition to make room for linux.
    >
    > If you have not yet chosen a distribution, I recommend Mandrake version
    > 10.0 which is its current official release. It is a comfortable
    > migration from linux and yet is a full linux distribution with a wealth
    > of applications and utilities.
    >
    > The Mandrake installer, as in most modern linix distributions, will
    > detect your partitioning and offer you choices accordingly and will,
    > depending on your choice, automatically shrink your ntfs or fat32
    > partition to make room for linux or install linux in empty space or
    > repartition a partition pointed out to it by you.
    >
    > Mandrake will also detect the presence of a Windows primary partition
    > and will automatically install a dual boot system with its primary boot
    > loader in the Master Boot Loader to act as a boot manager. The Windows
    > MBR will be saved to a standard file name and location so that it can
    > be re-installed if you decide to remove linux and go back to a
    > windows-only system.
    >
    > More particular advice can be offered by people in groups such as this
    > once we know what distribution you want to install and where in your
    > drive(s) you want to install it.
    >
    > Welcome to linux.
    >

    > Clive

+ Reply to Thread