How do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0? - Help

This is a discussion on How do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0? - Help ; I used to have only WinXP installed on my computer, but then I wanted to have dual-boot and I installed Mandrake 10.0....well to cut the story short...I didn't like it, and now how do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0. p.s. I ...

  1. How do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0?

    I used to have only WinXP installed on my computer, but then I wanted to
    have dual-boot and I installed Mandrake 10.0....well to cut the story
    short...I didn't like it, and now how do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0.

    p.s. I installed Grub on my MBR....

    -Thanks-

  2. Re: How do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0?

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:06:19 +0000, HERC wrote:

    > I used to have only WinXP installed on my computer, but then I wanted to
    > have dual-boot and I installed Mandrake 10.0....well to cut the story
    > short...I didn't like it, and now how do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0.
    >
    > p.s. I installed Grub on my MBR....
    >
    > -Thanks-

    I think the windoze command to restore the mbr to the windoze on one is
    fdisk /mbr
    You can then reformat the partition as you please.
    The other alternative is that you could try other distributions of linux
    by installing them over Mandrake.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

  3. Re: How do I uninstall Mandrake 10.0?

    jafar wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:06:19 +0000, HERC wrote:
    >
    >> I used to have only WinXP installed on my computer, but then I wanted
    >> to have dual-boot and I installed Mandrake 10.0....well to cut the
    >> story short...I didn't like it, and now how do I uninstall Mandrake
    >> 10.0.
    >>
    >> p.s. I installed Grub on my MBR....
    >>
    >> -Thanks-

    > I think the windoze command to restore the mbr to the windoze on one
    > is fdisk /mbr
    > You can then reformat the partition as you please.
    > The other alternative is that you could try other distributions of
    > linux by installing them over Mandrake.

    The more recent versions of windows, including Win2K and WinXP use the
    fixmbr command instead and the command must be run from a rescue
    console from the windows cd disk.

    You can insert the Mandrake install cd disk 1 and at the opening screen
    press F1 and then key in Rescue. This will give you a rescue menu and
    one of the items in the menu is a choice to re-install your Windows
    MBR. This will copy back the MBR that was set aside by Mandrake's
    installer when it installed linux.

    Of course, you will still have to remove the linux partitions and format
    windows partitions in the empty space that was formerly occupied by
    linux, but you can do this from the windows rescue console after you
    have restored the windows mbr and booted into windows.

+ Reply to Thread