In article <41593490@post.usenet.com>, Shadowfax wrote:
>**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

Stupid advertising

>>I'm looking for a good certification program for Linux. But I' m not sure

>which one should I choose ?
>I think RHCE can be a good choice. The continous growing place of RHL in
>Linux market makes me thinking about this. But I'm not very sure to choose
>it or not.

Find the local Linux group, or UNIX administrators group if nothing else,
and see what certification program is preferred locally. Please understand
that it doesn't mean a whole lot _TECHNICALLY_ for you - because the
technical people will want to see experience, not book learning. The
certification may get you past the "human resources" body if someone
included the word 'certificate' in the job description, but otherwise it
doesn't mean a whole lot.

>- Can RHL be a industry standart for Linux ?

To me, no. The Red Hat certification is aimed at Red Hat installations, and
would never think about including information about Mandrake, SuSE, Debian,
or Slackware - all of which are different.

>Is RHCE the correct choice for the future of Linux ?

Are future employers in your area using Red Hat Certified Engineers only?
If so, yes. If not, no.

>- I heard that Red Hat will stop it's support for RHL 9 in near future.

Support for RH9 ended 30 April 2004. The availability of old errata
packages beyond 31 October 2004 is currently unsure.

>What should I do if I want to be an expert of Red Hat Linux ? What should
>be my strategy ? - and what about Fedora Core ?

RH is still in business in the Enterprise Linux family, a commercial ONLY
version, and the current certification programs should be teaching that
version rather than RH9 or Fedora.

I'd suggest learning the fundamentals of Linux, rather than concentrating
on a specific distribution or release. If you know how to read, write, and
understand Bash shell scripts, can use the horribly unfriendly 'vi' editor
or it's clones, can understand how to actually read man pages, and similar
base skills, you'll be a lot better off than knowing that in RH9, you
configured a network card by clicking on this icon, pulling down that
menu, and filling in this or that. What are you going to do if you
encounter a Mandrake box, or even worse, something running Slackware or
Gentoo? Neither one has that icon, or that menu. What are you going to
do if X isn't even installed, or won't run?

>I heard also other programs like SAIR GNU Linux, Linux + or LPI.

As above - see what is important in your area.

>I will be very happy if somebody can give me some advices about being a
>good & certified Linux admin

Once you _get_ the job, most people look at certification as just another
piece of paper. What matters more is being able to do the job because you
know how things work - not which icon to click.

Old guy