Linux install help - Help

This is a discussion on Linux install help - Help ; I have an old Pentium 166 w/ 32M of memory. I wanted to install Linux to try it out. I got the Mandrake 10 .iso and the install starts ok but after it gets going for a while it quits, ...

  1. Linux install help

    I have an old Pentium 166 w/ 32M of memory. I wanted to install Linux to try
    it out. I got the Mandrake 10 .iso and the install starts ok but after it
    gets going for a while it quits, kills processes and reboots the PC.

    1) Are my system requirements simply too low to handle Linux?
    2) If I can install Linux on this old PC can someone give me some idea as to
    why it quits?

    This is the text I can catch before it reboots running vgalo and text:

    Found Mandrake Linux CDRom Good News!
    Total Memory = 32 M
    Warning ramdisk not possible due to low memory
    stage 1 disconnecting life support systems
    second stage install running (DrakX v.1.925 build Mar ...)
    setting probeall usb_interface to usb_uhci
    setting probeall usb_interface to usb_uhci ehci_hcd
    setting probeall usb_interface to usb_uhci ehci_hcd
    setting probeall usb_interface to usb_uhci ehci_hcd
    getfile mandrake /base/patch-oem.pl:
    error opening file /base/patch-oem.pl
    missing module af_packet
    running: /usr/bin/insmod_/tmp/af_packet.ko
    mounting none on /sys as type sysfs, options
    calling mount (none, /sys, sysfs, - 1058209792)
    running: /usr/bin/insmod_/tmp/hid.ko
    getfile VERSION:
    starting step 'select language'

    then it hangs (if I do 'text' install) or reboots if I do a normal vgalo
    install with Alt-F3

  2. Re: Linux install help

    In article <1tKdnbY5RLGiwMvcRVn-gQ@wideopenwest.com>, R.Spinks wrote:
    >I have an old Pentium 166 w/ 32M of memory. I wanted to install Linux to try
    >it out. I got the Mandrake 10 .iso and the install starts ok but after it
    >gets going for a while it quits, kills processes and reboots the PC.

    Well, I _REALLY_ would have expected it to give some error messages
    before it did that, but a P-166 with only 32 Megs of RAM is not going to
    do anything with the bloated GUI dependent distributions of today. You
    will need a different distribution, or try to find a _LOT_ more RAM.

    >1) Are my system requirements simply too low to handle Linux?

    Linux? No. Mandrake (and SuSE, and Fedora, etc.), yes. Hit a sunsite
    mirror like http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions and see about
    100 different distributions available. You'll need a light weight
    distribution, using a much less bloated desktop than KDE or Gnome. I'm
    using the old 'fvwm' desktop, without all of the windoze wannabe BS,
    and that easily fits into 21 Megs.

    [kuiper ~]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 30824 30000 824 25556 1508 9760
    -/+ buffers/cache: 18732 12092
    Swap: 36284 14140 22144
    [kuiper ~]$

    The firewall box is a wheezy old 386SX-16 with 16 Megs of RAM, and 'free'
    on that shows it's only using about _seven_ megabytes of RAM.

    >2) If I can install Linux on this old PC can someone give me some idea as to
    >why it quits?

    I obviously don't use Mandrake, but there should be some documentation files
    on the CD - probably including one named "README", and maybe "RELEASE.NOTES".
    Here's what the RELEASE.NOTES file from Red Hat 9 says:

    ------------------------
    Hardware Requirements
    The following information represents the minimum hardware requirements
    necessary to successfully install Red Hat Linux 9:

    CPU:
    - Minimum: Pentium-class
    - Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    - Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

    Hard Disk Space (NOTE: Additional space will be required for user data):
    - Custom Installation (minimum): 475MB
    - Server (minimum): 850MB
    - Personal Desktop: 1.7GB
    - Workstation: 2.1GB
    - Custom Installation (everything): 5.0GB

    Memory:
    - Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
    - Minimum for graphical: 128MB
    - Recommended for graphical: 192MB
    ------------------------

    That, sir, is the definition of extreme bloat, just to try to make it
    look like windoze. According to that, my firewall box isn't worth even
    thinking about. Wonder why I can install other distributions on these
    lightweight boxes. Wonder why I stopped using those bloated ones.

    For comparison, a very obsolete release of Red Hat (5.2 from 1999) wanted
    a 80386, 16 Megs of RAM, and 450 Megs of disk for a workstation (1.6 Gigs
    for a server).

    Old guy

  3. Re: Linux install help

    Thanks. I checked out ibiblio and I don't see fvwm but I do see several
    small distr. I guess I can try.

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
    news:slrnclesnt.1cr.ibuprofin@atlantis.phx.az.us.. .
> [...]

    data):
    > - Custom Installation (minimum): 475MB
    > - Server (minimum): 850MB
    > - Personal Desktop: 1.7GB
    > - Workstation: 2.1GB
    > - Custom Installation (everything): 5.0GB
    >
    > Memory:
    > - Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
    > - Minimum for graphical: 128MB
    > - Recommended for graphical: 192MB
    > ------------------------
    >
    > That, sir, is the definition of extreme bloat, just to try to make it
    > look like windoze. According to that, my firewall box isn't worth even
    > thinking about. Wonder why I can install other distributions on these
    > lightweight boxes. Wonder why I stopped using those bloated ones.
    >
    > For comparison, a very obsolete release of Red Hat (5.2 from 1999) wanted
    > a 80386, 16 Megs of RAM, and 450 Megs of disk for a workstation (1.6 Gigs

  4. Re: Linux install help

    In article , R.Spinks wrote:

    [compton ~]$ whatis fvwm
    fvwm (1x) - F(?) Virtual Window Manager for X11
    [compton ~]$

    One of the "problems" in *nix is that you have a choice. 'fvwm' happens
    to be an older window manager, that is small because it's fairly simple.
    There are a number of others like 'enlightenment' or 'icewm' that are
    fairly light. These window managers come as part of many different
    distributions.

    >but I do see several small distr. I guess I can try.

    Hope there's something there that you like

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread