Need external i.p. tracking app - Help

This is a discussion on Need external i.p. tracking app - Help ; Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the ...

  1. Need external i.p. tracking app

    Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external
    ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's
    utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I
    desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the only thing
    stopping me is my inability to find an ip monitor for Linux. I often FTP
    in from outside, and my cable (Roadrunner) changes my ip about once a
    year. Barefoot's utility checks the ip at a set interval and FTP's it
    to my webserver, where I can view it from anywhere.

    Or,if you can suggest a better method of guaranteeing access to my
    server from outside, I would very much be interested in hearing it.

    TIA,

    Greg

  2. Re: Need external i.p. tracking app

    Alternatively you could get a cheap domain name for it (for instance through
    namebargain.com), then use a free DNS service to point it to your box (for
    instance zoneedit.com). ZoneEdit have a little Python script on their site
    that you can use in Linux to check your IP (say every 5 minutes from a cron
    job). The script will notify ZoneEdit if the IP changed since the last time
    it checked.

    Durk

  3. Re: Need external i.p. tracking app

    Durk van Veen wrote:
    > Alternatively you could get a cheap domain name for it (for instance through
    > namebargain.com), then use a free DNS service to point it to your box (for
    > instance zoneedit.com). ZoneEdit have a little Python script on their site
    > that you can use in Linux to check your IP (say every 5 minutes from a cron
    > job). The script will notify ZoneEdit if the IP changed since the last time
    > it checked.
    >
    > Durk
    >
    > Thanks Durk,

    That's actually a great idea...and probably a bit more reliable than
    what I am currently doing. I will give it a shot.

    Greg

  4. Re: Need external i.p. tracking app

    If you are just needing to keep track of what your current assigned IP
    address is, why not use sh, ksh, bash, et. al. script to grep into
    ifconfig? You could then save it to a file with the date. Probably takes
    less than 10 lines of code.
    RAZ

    provita wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external
    > ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's
    > utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I
    > desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the only thing
    > stopping me is my inability to find an ip monitor for Linux. I often FTP
    > in from outside, and my cable (Roadrunner) changes my ip about once a
    > year. Barefoot's utility checks the ip at a set interval and FTP's it
    > to my webserver, where I can view it from anywhere.
    >
    > Or,if you can suggest a better method of guaranteeing access to my
    > server from outside, I would very much be interested in hearing it.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Greg

+ Reply to Thread