Problems with mount - Help

This is a discussion on Problems with mount - Help ; In RH9 I'm trying to mount some data CD-Rs but most of them report a "No medium found". The mount command I use is: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom I also get this error from time to time. mount: wrong ...

  1. Problems with mount

    In RH9

    I'm trying to mount some data CD-Rs but most of them report a "No medium
    found".

    The mount command I use is:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

    I also get this error from time to time.

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    or too many mounted file systems
    (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

    My CD-ROM drive has no problems reading the CDs if I boot into Windows.
    The CD-Rs are standard iso9660 (Joliet?) filesystems burned in Windows
    using Nero. Also note that some CDs work fine some of the time but it's
    rare.

    Is this an issue with crappy Linux CD-ROM drivers or is it an issue with
    the mount command? Can I update something to a more current version and
    solve this problem?

  2. Re: Problems with mount

    Not familiar w/ RH9, I use Slackware. With mine it uses /dev/sr0 not
    /dev/cdrom and I find it more convenient to use just /mnt in lieu of
    /mnt/cdrom.
    Look in /proc and /dev to see which devices were set up for you by RH.
    Also, check documentation in /usr/doc by using egrep -i "{cdrom|sr0}" *, to
    see if there is something in there on it. [Note: {|} are my pseudo code]
    Hope this helps some,
    RAZ

    Alexandre Leduc wrote:

    > In RH9
    >
    > I'm trying to mount some data CD-Rs but most of them report a "No medium
    > found".
    >
    > The mount command I use is:
    > mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    >
    > I also get this error from time to time.
    >
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    > (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    > ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
    >
    > My CD-ROM drive has no problems reading the CDs if I boot into Windows.
    > The CD-Rs are standard iso9660 (Joliet?) filesystems burned in Windows
    > using Nero. Also note that some CDs work fine some of the time but it's
    > rare.
    >
    > Is this an issue with crappy Linux CD-ROM drivers or is it an issue with
    > the mount command? Can I update something to a more current version and
    > solve this problem?

  3. Re: Problems with mount

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:29:30 +0000, Razzel wrote:

    > Not familiar w/ RH9, I use Slackware. With mine it uses /dev/sr0 not
    > /dev/cdrom and I find it more convenient to use just /mnt in lieu of
    > /mnt/cdrom.
    > Look in /proc and /dev to see which devices were set up for you by RH.
    > Also, check documentation in /usr/doc by using egrep -i "{cdrom|sr0}" *, to
    > see if there is something in there on it. [Note: {|} are my pseudo code]
    > Hope this helps some,
    > RAZ
    >
    > Alexandre Leduc wrote:
    >
    >> In RH9
    >>
    >> I'm trying to mount some data CD-Rs but most of them report a "No medium
    >> found".
    >>
    >> The mount command I use is:
    >> mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    >>
    >> I also get this error from time to time.
    >>
    >> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    >> or too many mounted file systems
    >> (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    >> ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
    >>
    >> My CD-ROM drive has no problems reading the CDs if I boot into Windows.
    >> The CD-Rs are standard iso9660 (Joliet?) filesystems burned in Windows
    >> using Nero. Also note that some CDs work fine some of the time but it's
    >> rare.
    >>
    >> Is this an issue with crappy Linux CD-ROM drivers or is it an issue with
    >> the mount command? Can I update something to a more current version and
    >> solve this problem?

    Try simply using mount /mnt/cdrom. There should already be an entry in
    /etc/fstab

  4. Re: Problems with mount

    Greg wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:29:30 +0000, Razzel wrote:
    >
    >> Not familiar w/ RH9, I use Slackware. With mine it uses /dev/sr0 not
    >> /dev/cdrom and I find it more convenient to use just /mnt in lieu of
    >> /mnt/cdrom.
    >> Look in /proc and /dev to see which devices were set up for you by RH.
    >> Also, check documentation in /usr/doc by using egrep -i "{cdrom|sr0}" *,
    >> see if there is something in there on it. [Note: {|} are my pseudo
    >> code] Hope this helps some,
    >> RAZ
    >>
    >> Alexandre Leduc wrote:
    >>
    >>> In RH9
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to mount some data CD-Rs but most of them report a "No medium
    >>> found".
    >>>
    >>> The mount command I use is:
    >>> mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    >>>
    >>> I also get this error from time to time.
    >>>
    >>> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    >>> or too many mounted file systems
    >>> (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    >>> ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
    >>>
    >>> My CD-ROM drive has no problems reading the CDs if I boot into Windows.
    >>> The CD-Rs are standard iso9660 (Joliet?) filesystems burned in Windows
    >>> using Nero. Also note that some CDs work fine some of the time but it's
    >>> rare.
    >>>
    >>> Is this an issue with crappy Linux CD-ROM drivers or is it an issue with
    >>> the mount command? Can I update something to a more current version and
    >>> solve this problem?

    > Try simply using mount /mnt/cdrom. There should already be an entry in
    > /etc/fstab

    To start with, /dev/cdrom isn't an actual device but a symlink as is my
    setup.

    If you use df you should see the CD-ROM mounted, if it is already. The
    dev/sr0 stuff would be if it is a burner which I'm assuming.

    But from earlier posts it appears it appears you can get some CD's to mount.
    I would suspect a) bad CD-R's, or b) possible kernel compile issue.
    Mainly, that there is an option to allow some extension(been a while since
    I had to do it) that allows you to read multi-session CD's. So if you burn
    to that CD more than once in windows and can't read it. That would be a
    symptom of it. There should be a CD burner HOWTO that explains it further.

    Given that the RH install sees your CD-ROM as a burner, (ie setup as a SCSI
    device) I will also assume that the problem is not b) but a). It would
    still be worth your while to read that HOWTO and check all those
    parameters.

    That was some of my experience but that was some time ago.

+ Reply to Thread