Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk - Help

This is a discussion on Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk - Help ; Hello, I am currently using use suse 9.1 pro and kde 3.2 (which I think really does not matter) and would like to know how to do the following: 1) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and ...

  1. Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk

    Hello,
    I am currently using use suse 9.1 pro and kde 3.2 (which I think really
    does not matter) and would like to know how to do the following:

    1) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    (.tar etc ) to my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive.

    2) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    (.tar etc ) to my d: drive cd-rom drive.

    3) Copy any windows and unix files from my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 floppy disk to
    my linux system.

    4) Copy any windows and unix files from my d: drive cd rom drive to my linux
    system.

    Any help to this would be appreciate.

  2. Re: Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk

    In article <5ir3d.5219$gG4.1551@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, mike wrote:
    >Hello,
    > I am currently using use suse 9.1 pro and kde 3.2 (which I think really
    >does not matter) and would like to know how to do the following:
    >
    >1) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    >(.tar etc ) to my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive.

    man mount
    man cp
    man umount
    man fstab

    [compton ~]# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    [compton ~]# cp *.txt *.doc *.html *.pdf /mnt/floppy
    [compton ~]# umount /dev/fd0
    [compton ~]#

    Of course, that assumes you have enough _room_ on tat floppy for
    all of your stuff. Stuffing UNIX files to floppy would probably also
    use a filesystem OTHER THAN msdos or vfat. Oh, and this also assumes
    that the floppies have the appropriate filesystem already installed.

    man mkfs

    >2) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    >(.tar etc ) to my d: drive cd-rom drive.

    For that, you'll do something very similar, BUT you have to figure out
    which device is the CD-ROM (and which burner program you are using).
    Only DOS and windoze used drive letters (like a: or d.

    Your questions 3 and 4 are close enough to 1 above. You might need to
    know what file systems are being used, but what else is new.

    >Any help to this would be appreciate.

    106023 Aug 31 2000 Filesystems-HOWTO

    Old guy

  3. Re: Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In article <5ir3d.5219$gG4.1551@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, mike wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> I am currently using use suse 9.1 pro and kde 3.2 (which I think really
    >>does not matter) and would like to know how to do the following:
    >>
    >>1) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    >>(.tar etc ) to my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive.

    > man mount
    > man cp
    > man umount
    > man fstab
    >
    > [compton ~]# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    > [compton ~]# cp *.txt *.doc *.html *.pdf /mnt/floppy
    > [compton ~]# umount /dev/fd0
    > [compton ~]#
    >
    > Of course, that assumes you have enough _room_ on tat floppy for
    > all of your stuff. Stuffing UNIX files to floppy would probably also
    > use a filesystem OTHER THAN msdos or vfat. Oh, and this also assumes
    > that the floppies have the appropriate filesystem already installed.
    >
    > man mkfs
    >

    >>2) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    >>(.tar etc ) to my d: drive cd-rom drive.

    > For that, you'll do something very similar, BUT you have to figure out
    > which device is the CD-ROM (and which burner program you are using).
    > Only DOS and windoze used drive letters (like a: or d.
    >
    > Your questions 3 and 4 are close enough to 1 above. You might need to
    > know what file systems are being used, but what else is new.
    >

    >>Any help to this would be appreciate.

    > 106023 Aug 31 2000 Filesystems-HOWTO
    >
    > Old guy

    Try also
    http://mtools.linux.lu/

  4. Re: Help copy a various files to a floppy and cd rom disk

    If you have windows as one of your mounted devices under Linux you could make
    the transition directly without having to use the floppy disk <8^(
    Most distros have such a capability, I find it quite useful.
    RAZ

    mike wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am currently using use suse 9.1 pro and kde 3.2 (which I think really
    > does not matter) and would like to know how to do the following:
    >
    > 1) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    > (.tar etc ) to my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive.
    >
    > 2) Copy all windows files (.txt, .doc, html, .pdf etc) and all unix files
    > (.tar etc ) to my d: drive cd-rom drive.
    >
    > 3) Copy any windows and unix files from my a: drive 3.5" 1.44 floppy disk to
    > my linux system.
    >
    > 4) Copy any windows and unix files from my d: drive cd rom drive to my linux
    > system.
    >
    > Any help to this would be appreciate.

+ Reply to Thread