Windows Ate My GRUB! Help! - Help

This is a discussion on Windows Ate My GRUB! Help! - Help ; Last night I set up two SATA HDs under FC2. The boot partition was software raid1. Everything seemed to be swimming at the time. This morning I booted to windows from an attached ATA 100 drive. Windows tried to load ...

  1. Windows Ate My GRUB! Help!

    Last night I set up two SATA HDs under FC2. The boot partition was software raid1. Everything seemed to be swimming at the time.
    This morning I booted to windows from an attached ATA 100 drive. Windows tried to load a driver for the SATA devices, which I cancelled out of. However, now when I try to boot the SATA drives grub fails (loads stage 2 then gives me a command line). When I root (hd0,0) grub tells me that it doesn't know what partition type hd0,0 is. Loading Knoppix seems to show me that the SATA drives are still there and that the info on them is not damaged (knoppix does not identify them as software raid pairs though).

    Is it possible that Windows has changed something on the SATA drives? I am blaming windows without proof (other than correlation).

    If so, is there an easy way to reactivate the relevant partition so that grub recognises it?

    Thanks

    Brendan

  2. Re: Windows Ate My GRUB! Help!

    "Brendan S (Scratch User)" wrote in message
    news:414a4a4b$0$23896$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Last night I set up two SATA HDs under FC2. The boot partition was

    software raid1. Everything seemed to be swimming at the time.
    > This morning I booted to windows from an attached ATA 100 drive. Windows

    tried to load a driver for the SATA devices, which I cancelled out of.
    However, now when I try to boot the SATA drives grub fails (loads stage 2
    then gives me a command line). When I root (hd0,0) grub tells me that it
    doesn't know what partition type hd0,0 is. Loading Knoppix seems to show me
    that the SATA drives are still there and that the info on them is not
    damaged (knoppix does not identify them as software raid pairs though).

    > Is it possible that Windows has changed something on the SATA drives? I

    am blaming windows without proof (other than correlation).

    > If so, is there an easy way to reactivate the relevant partition so that

    grub recognises it?

    http://62.253.162.19/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html
    it might have the tools you need.....

+ Reply to Thread