TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file - Help

This is a discussion on TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file - Help ; I am having a problem using the TIN newsreader. I start the TIN newsreader from the command line using: tin -r This connects to my ISPs news server. I get a message: Reading groups from active file This is followed ...

  1. TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    I am having a problem using the TIN newsreader.

    I start the TIN newsreader from the command line using:

    tin -r

    This connects to my ISPs news server.

    I get a message:

    Reading groups from active file

    This is followed by a spin indicator, and after a short while, I can use the
    newsreader, by pressing y to get a list of newsgroups.

    If I now exit tin, and start it again

    tin -r

    It connects to my ISPs news server as before.

    I get the message

    Reading groups from active file

    I get the spin indicator and it downloads the group information.

    Following this a new stage commences:

    Reading groups from newsrc file

    There is no spin indicator with this one and the program just sits there for
    several minutes, before eventually timing out with an error:

    Connection has timed out. Reconnect ?

    After answering Y, the computer will just sit there for several more minutes,
    before timing out again with the same error.

    I go to my home directory and delete the file .newsrc

    I start the newsreader

    tin -r

    It connects to the newsserver, reads groups from active file, and I can use
    the program again.

    However, if I quit and restart it, the timeout reading from newsrc occurs
    and I have to delete that file again.

    I am losing the information about my subscribed groups each time I delete
    this file.

    How do I fix this, so that I can start and stop the newsreader each time,
    and it remembers the information about the subscribed groups ?

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I am having a problem using the TIN newsreader.
    >
    > I start the TIN newsreader from the command line using:
    >
    > tin -r

    Well, don't do that then

    alias tin
    rtin -f $HOME/.newsrc-$NNTPSERVER -G 200 -n

    Or something similar.

    Peter

  3. Re: TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    In alt.comp.linux P.T. Breuer wrote:

    > alias tin
    > rtin -f $HOME/.newsrc-$NNTPSERVER -G 200 -n

    Thanks Peter.
    Unfortunately, I still get the same problem. This time though, I have to
    delete the file .newsrc-news.blueyonder.co.uk

    For your information, I have no local news services on the computer. I am just
    trying to use my ISPs news server.

    I have a network traffic level monitor on my computer in the form of a usage
    graph.

    When the computer is retrieving from the active group list, there is loads of
    traffic as it sucks information from the news server.

    However, when it then goes to read the newsrc information, there is no
    traffic whatsoever.

    What is it trying to do at this point ? Is it trying to read something locally ?

    There are no local files for it to read, as far as I can tell.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > In alt.comp.linux P.T. Breuer wrote:
    >
    > > alias tin
    > > rtin -f $HOME/.newsrc-$NNTPSERVER -G 200 -n

    > Unfortunately, I still get the same problem. This time though, I have to

    What problem? Whatever you said last time was lost on me as it was
    badly formatted, hence incomprehensible. I simply saw you said you had
    timeouts downloading group lists, so I suggested the above. The "-n"
    says NOT to load the group list from the server, but to use your .newsrc
    instead. So DO NOT DELETE IT!!!!!!!!

    > delete the file .newsrc-news.blueyonder.co.uk

    No!!! Don't.

    Peter

  5. Re: TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I am having a problem using the TIN newsreader.

    > I start the TIN newsreader from the command line using:

    > tin -r

    > This connects to my ISPs news server.

    erk. That is a VERY slow way to read news with tin. Might I recommend you
    install leafnode, a local news spool. Run that, run fetchnews to get the
    latest news as a cron job and texpire to delete old articles, and tin will
    fly by.

  6. Re: TIN times out reading groups from newsrc file

    In alt.comp.linux spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > erk. That is a VERY slow way to read news with tin. Might I recommend you
    > install leafnode

    Ok, I've installed leafnode on a computer on the lan, and tin is working just
    fine when connecting to that machine.

    I reconnect directly to blueyonder and again, I have the problems with the
    timeout, during the second phase of the reading groups.

    Anyhow, I like the leafnode option, so I'm sticking with it.

    Thanks guys!

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

+ Reply to Thread